Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Berlin Tiger?

Posted by weeper (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 16:00

So has anyone had Berlin Tiger in their garden? How did it do? What kind of companions do you have planted with it? Anything else I should know about it?

I ordered one from Veseys, so I'll be planting it this spring. They are related to the yellow flag iris, arn't they? So they are water lovers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Berlin Tiger?

Hi
Description from Tomas Tamberg
"Iris pseudacorus hybrid BERLIN TIGER (Tamberg 1988)
An attractive hybrid, grown from spontaneous seed of HOLDEN CLOUGH x ?; strong growing plants produce stems with wide branching and many buds; the flowers show a strong and dense line pattern on yellow, creating a warm golden-brown colour effect; healthy, dark green leaves; in contradiction to first assumptions the variety grows better on a garden bed with sufficient humidity than directly in water; fertile, but yields only Iris pseudacorus seedlings; Award of Garden Merit RHS 1995

I grow several Versicolor x pseudacorus hybrid seedlings and they grow well along side Siberian Irises but do not like to dry out.Very Strong plants.
Tomas Tamberg would be the top Hybridiser for inter species iris crosses and his site is well worth the visit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomas Tamberg

o

I grow it.

A very easy to grow iris, and yes they are related to yellow flag, and are water lovers.

I think they are stunning.

o

pollyny, my garden has a lot of southern exposure - it gets kind of baked. Will berlin tiger bloom if I plant it in part shade instead, so that I can keep it's feet moist? Or would I be better off planting it in full sun, and just planting lots around it to shade the ground by it's roots and water it a lot?

o

What area are you in? In a southern state I would recommend a little shade. If you're in the north, full sun would be best, and keep it well watered.

o
water irises

If you would like I have a fact sheet on growing water loving irises. Email me through my website and I will email you a copy. My website is on my homepage.

o

I'm looking for this too as well as many of the species crosses that are in many colours. As well there are a group of Irises called Spuria that I'm looking for. The White w/ yellow and the all yellow forms are common here, I'm looking for modern hybrids in blues and other colours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here