Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
use of atrazine over irises

Posted by flatwood GA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 16:07

What, if any, grass herbicides can be safely used over irises. Atrazine 4L is the one in question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: use of atrazine over irises

I don't know the answer to your question, but irises are particularly susceptible to deformities from even the least little bit of Round-up drift. I suspect they may be just as sensitive to other herbicides. Can you contact the manufacturer of the Atrazine? They would know.

If you experiment, would you please post the results here for the rest of us?

Renee

o

I feel that I am, unfortunately, an expert given that I live in a development with grounds crews who spray herbicides with regularity. They wiped out almost a whole bed one year, and this year even the slightest drift (I'm guessing) deformed my first bloom which opened last week("Daughter of Stars" looked like Creature from the Black Lagoon). Fortunately, the other flowers are normal. That's why I say that the spray must have drifted.

My advice: if you have grass, pull it up with your hands (that's my advice for everything, though, so I'm prejudiced for sure).

Mike in SC

o

Thanks for the replies. I have not learned anything yet, however, I kinda feel like irises might be susceptible since they and grasses are monocots in the plant world. I will post if I discover anything. Thanks.

o

Just finished looking at labels and a product named Fusilade II appears to be labelled for use over the top of irises for control of some grasses. PLEASE read the label for the product and use only according to directions,don't depend on my interpretation to be correct. Contact your extension personnel to be sure!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here