Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Louisiana iris?

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:13

Several years ago a local nursery gave me a box of untagged rhizomes they believed were Louisiana irises. Most turned out to be Yellow Flag. However, these were different and were placed in an east facing bed where they thrived, but never flowered until this year. Does anyone recognize this flower? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Louisiana iris?

Uhhh..... maybe I have things backwards. After a bit of rechecking, I suspect the first photo is actually Yellow Flag, which is different from the other yellow irises in the lot. So, am wondering if the other ones are a variant of i. pseudacorus or something else. The following photo shows the original on the left and the ones in question on the right.

o

I would say your first picture is the yellow flag iris. The one on the right & in the background is a tall bearded iris, a historical variety, but I don't know the exact name.

o

Thanks! Alice Harding, perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: TB Alice Harding

o

I think the hafts are too golden for Alice Harding. The veining is very clear on your iris.

o

hosenemesis: I know next to nothing about irises, but from the little gleaned on iris history, does seems an award winner from the 1930s would more likely be a pure yellow since pronounced veining was usually considered a negative attribute. Is that right? However, an image search for "Alice Harding iris" turns up examples with and without the pronounced veining.

After looking up the image posted by the Plainfield Garden Club on their Alice Harding page (she was a member), seems the veining is appropriate. The club website hosts the detail pages on a different domain, so is a bit weird to navigate - can get to her page under History/Notable Members.

Here are a couple example images: AH iris photo at Plainview Garden Club and
AH iris at UK vendor.

Edit: Attached a better photo of our yellow TB. Does seem the veining may run too far down the fall for Alice Harding.

Here is a link that might be useful: PGC Notable Member History - scroll to Alice Harding link

This post was edited by bostedo on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 21:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here