Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
early spring transplanting: best plan?

Posted by rigelcaj z4 VT (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 16:30

I was just offered a big clump of bearded iris for the taking, and am about to pick it up (I'm not waiting for someone to beat me to it!), and wonder what the best plan is for them. I'm in VT so we probably have winter weather left, but I can:
1. put them in the ground outside, keeping the clump intact; separate and move them to a permanent home later;
2. separate them now and put them in permanent home;
3. rinse, dry and store in sawdust in the house until last frost is past;
4. other? I don't even know what that would be.
I'm inclined to do option 1, but would love advice from people with more experience. I don't care if they bloom this year - just want them to have a fighting chance. Thanks!
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: early spring transplanting: best plan?

You know, I think I would go for option 1 too, especially if you can manage to keep some soil with them. They might even bloom for you. I don't think it would hurt them to take option 2 though. They probably won't actually root til the weather gets warm, but it won't hurt them. For that matter, option 3 will work if you have some bad weather & can't get them planted.
I'm lots of help, aren't I :) Iris are pretty forgiving. You might get some advice to pot them up, but personally, that is the one option I wouldn't bother to go with. I think they would be more likely to rot.
I hope they do great for you, whatever you choose. You got a great gift. What color are they? You will have to post pictures when they do bloom.

o

Well! Turns out they're not bearded; they're Siberian (equally welcome). A lovely big clump with a comfy chunk of soil. I brought them straight home and tucked them in without dividing.

Thanks so much for the thoughts - I'll let you know how they do!

o

I have divided and transplanted (rather rudely) Siberian iris a few times. Including in upstate NY 3 weeks ago. They are pretty hard to kill.

o

I've heard Siberians are particular about being moved, but I've moved them, like harryshoe, rather rudely & they barely blinked.

o

Having hoped for updates on other people's posts, I'd better give one on mine.

I divided the iris rudely - took a spade and chopped into 4 chunks! - in June or so, and popped each into a hole. They all thrived and have bloomed beautifully every year since. (Maybe they thrived a little too exuberantly, since I came back on the board wondering about giving them haircuts!)

Thanks again for the coaching, and best of luck to anyone who finds this in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here