Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

What are the differences between Siberian & Bearded Iris?

summerstar
13 years ago

I haven't grown iris for years and am thinking about adding them now to my perennial border. It was a friend's opinion that Siberian iris foliage makes a better appearance in a flower bed than Bearded iris foliage. Is she correct?

What other major differences exist between the two types? I think iris foliage is beautiful even without flowers, but want to make a good decision between these two. I'm making changes in my perennial beds by adding more plants that require less attention and are more carefree such as peonies and small shrubs and from what little I know, iris seems to fit under the more carefree category. Which variety of Iris should I plant if I like attractive foliage AND a more trouble-free plant?

Comments (8)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Siberians do stay in an upright clump & thrive on more water. Their color palette is more limited.

Bearded clumps have quite a different look. Fat wider leaves in fans. A blue-green color. Their clumps are less disciplined. The flowers more exuberant. All colors. In summer the foliage looks tired. Do not like moist soil.

If your look is formal use Siberians. If less restrained, either can work.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Harryshoe, I love your garden.
    Renee

• mooseling
    13 years ago

For me, bearded irises have always been easier. Of course, I live in a very dry, alkaline part of the country so Siberians aren't as happy here, although I still grow them with relative ease. I just actually have to water them and treat their soil more, and I think they grow slower for me than they do elsewhere. I do like Siberian foliage more than I do bearded, but I love the flowers of the beardeds.

• summerstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do like the look of the Siberian leaves. A very pretty plant. Here in Z7 of Central VA the sun gets really strong and our summer rainfall isn't always the best so I've gotta think about this. Thanks much for your pictures. Your blue Siberian is gorgeous plant; flowers AND leaves.

Since I'm asking about varieties:

1. Are the Standard Dwarf, Intermediates, and Border Irises require the same soil & moisture conditions as the tall bearded?

2. I read that Tall Bearded are more prone to insects and diseases and Siberian less prone. Are the SD, Borders, and Intermediates less prone too or the same as the Tall Bearded?

3. How much smaller are the flowers on the SD, Borders, and Intermediates compared to the Tall Bearded? A lot smaller?

Thanks for the help with all these questions. I surely do appreciate it!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Siberian Iris don't require extra water once they are established. Sure they might like it but they are really very hardy once established. Plus they are alot better looking when not in bloom than bearded iris.

What kind of garden do you have? A heavily mulched perennial border that you water frequently would be a much better fit for Siberian Iris than bearded iris. But then there is really no reason why you can't have both.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those are really pretty. I can see that the foliage would remain attractive.

kay

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Flower size is largest on TBs. Supreme Sultan has been touted as the largest TB flower but new cultivars might have surpassed that, so you see there are variations within a class. IBs are like the slightly smaller flowered TBs but must be a shorter height to qualify (bloom size does not count). MTBs definately have smaller blooms. The dwarfs of course are the smallest. (Many of Blyth's gorgeous TB intros have smaller blooms ~ some breeders concentrate on size, others color pattern, etc.)

Diseases that affect bearded iris affect all classes. The only one scary pest to me is the iris borer. We don't have it in the west yet. Do a search to read about peoples' experiences and "cures". The occasional pest mine have is scale in summer on old leaves. I run my fingernail along the leaf to remove it or cut off the portion (seldom spray). And some years iris leaf spot appears. It's disfiguring but that's all. Spraying with a fungicide prevents it.

Someone else will have to give you the run-down on Siberian diseases/pests.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!