Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhizome rot--help!

Posted by veryzer 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 17:16

I'm having an issue with some of the rhizomes I planted last year. I noticed when pulling away some of the old growth from last year's rhizomes that said rhizomes are a bit mushy at the tip. They are sending up healthy fans from new rhizomes, so is there anything I need to do and, if so, what? My area recieved three times the average amount of rainfall in March if that helps. Thanks for your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhizome rot--help!

I just learned last fall (after growing iris for several years), that a rhizome only blooms once & then its purpose is to multiply. When you divide iris, you can toss the mother rhizome, although if I really like the iris I will replant the original if it is healthy, it will make more rhizomes.

o

A "bit" mushy (kinda corky/rubbery) sounds like just what ngraham said - the old mother rhizomes fading away. Bacterial soft rot is not a "bit" mushy - it's full-on nasty, smelly mush.

o

Thanks. That's reassuring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here