Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckycrazymommy

When to do this?!?!?!

Crazymommy
10 years ago

My first irises were peach and were given to me by a friend. I did not realize that they were peach when she gave them to me. I've never liked them because my favorite thing about irisis is the blue color. A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a bunch of blue irises. So I planted them in with the others. This year I am expecting more blue blooms and it's getting crowded so I'd like to give away the peach irises. My problem is if I don't pull them out when they bloom, I'm not sure how I'll know which ones are which. Is it ok to ask someone to get them when they bloom? If the person who wants them doesn't know anything about irises, what should I tell them to expect? TBH, I burried mine the first year and they refused to bloom for three years until a friend of mine told me that I should just try laying them on the ground.

Also.....
Another neighbor that my dh ran into dropped by a bunch of irises for me. I wasn't sure where to plant them last year, but this year, I have a spot. But because I had some rot before, i just let them be on the ground. They had actually been sitting on my front step in a bag and they got wet so I dumped them in a particular place. I knew they would grow, but they are definitely overcrowded. I did not plan to keep them there. I'd like to move them, but I'm not sure when to do it. I am fairly sure that they will not bloom since they were bare tubers. Can I just move them now or should I wait until the larger irises are finished blooming?

BTW....with both neighbors, either dh or I complimented them on how pretty their irises were. So when they thinned out their plots, they brought us the extras!!!! What a blessing!!!

Comments (2)