Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to do this?!?!?!

Posted by crazymommy 7b NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 18:21

My first irises were peach and were given to me by a friend. I did not realize that they were peach when she gave them to me. I've never liked them because my favorite thing about irisis is the blue color. A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a bunch of blue irises. So I planted them in with the others. This year I am expecting more blue blooms and it's getting crowded so I'd like to give away the peach irises. My problem is if I don't pull them out when they bloom, I'm not sure how I'll know which ones are which. Is it ok to ask someone to get them when they bloom? If the person who wants them doesn't know anything about irises, what should I tell them to expect? TBH, I burried mine the first year and they refused to bloom for three years until a friend of mine told me that I should just try laying them on the ground.

Also.....
Another neighbor that my dh ran into dropped by a bunch of irises for me. I wasn't sure where to plant them last year, but this year, I have a spot. But because I had some rot before, i just let them be on the ground. They had actually been sitting on my front step in a bag and they got wet so I dumped them in a particular place. I knew they would grow, but they are definitely overcrowded. I did not plan to keep them there. I'd like to move them, but I'm not sure when to do it. I am fairly sure that they will not bloom since they were bare tubers. Can I just move them now or should I wait until the larger irises are finished blooming?

BTW....with both neighbors, either dh or I complimented them on how pretty their irises were. So when they thinned out their plots, they brought us the extras!!!! What a blessing!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to do this?!?!?!

I just dug out one today that I didn't want. It still had color on its last bloom so I know I got the right one. You need to watch for the attached rhizomes that aren't mature enuf to bloom this year. Scrape away some soil first to see who is attached to who.

I would tell a novice not to expect bloom the 1st year. And I would suggest she read this link's information.

Go ahead and put the neighbor's iris into their new home now since you're not expecting bloom. That way they will have a nice growing season before winter.

I'm with you on lavender-blue iris. There is something magical about that bloom color with the foliage color. I'm a sucker for pink too. Happy irising!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.schreinersgardens.com/how-to-grow-care-for-bearded-iris

o
RE: When to do this?!?!?!

local iris growers... sell them in bloom ...

you pick what you like.. they dig it up ... you bring it home.. cut off the stalk.. enjoy the flower in the house.. and plant the rhiz ....

its really.. the only way ... to buy.. the color and form you want ... other than mail ordering from the big houses ...

just cull them in bloom .. cut off the flower stalk .. and gift them to whoever ...

as to moving them ... look to root growing time ... when you want to figure such out ... regardless of the plant .. iris are rather bulletproof ... but i believe they store energy in fall ... i.e. grow roots... so you want them moved.. before then.. so as to not disturb food storage for next season ...

but again... they are iris.. I THINK.. dad used to dig them up after bloom.. and store them in an onion sack in the garage.. until early fall planting.. i dont really think you could harm the things if you tried ... lol [can this recollection be right??? or am i confusing some other plant dad dug up.. back in the 60s ...???]

ken

ps: all i remember was some little finger sized pink borers... and he didnt replant them immediately ... after that.. the facts become rather dream like... lol ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here