Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Your Experience.....

Posted by alisonn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 18:28

I have two choices for both bearded and siberian iris: Either morning sun, afternoon shade or morning shade and afternoon sun. Which, in your experience, is probably the better site?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Your Experience.....

I'd go for the morning sun. When they need dividing in a few years you could do an experiment :-) and place some in the other location.

o
RE: In Your Experience.....

the word shade means little ... s there is no real way for us to interpret it in your yard ...

since they are heavy bloomers.. they need all the direct sun they can get ...

what your words do not define... is the number hours of sun.. in any given location ...

i would try to count the actual hours of sun in both locations.. and favor the higher hours .. also taking into account.. that dawn sun itself.. is rather weak ... as is late evening ...

lack of sun.. will rarely kill a green plant... but what it does impact... is its ability to flower in profusion ...

lol.. what i would actually do.. is divide what you have.. if possible.. and plant them in both locations ... thats really.. the only way for you to know.. how it all works out in your little micro climate of sun/shade ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here