Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several of my favorite irises

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 18:29

I've always grown irises mostly passed from one garden to the next, so I don't know any of their names, but here are a few of my favorites that have been blooming profusely for me for years.

Dark Blue Siberian Iris--I have four different clumps of these. Just love their jeweled tones.
Photobucket

"Black" Iris--part of my son's 4-H project many years ago. He no longer takes care of them, but always double-checks to make sure I take adequate care of "his" black iris (how they were described in the catalog). I always point out they are actually dark purple, not black and that as long as they continue to reside on my property, they are my dark purple iris. But what's in a name--they are truly dramatically beautiful.
Photobucket

Light Blue Iris--not the best picture, but they do look lovely mixed into my perennial bed.
Photobucket

Blue and White tall bearded iris--actually they are dark purple and white. Don't know why the camera recorded them as blue and white. Gift from the janitor at the place where I work.
Photobucket

Lavender edged white iris--another gift from our janitor. These are lovely, but more lavender than the picture shows.
Photobucket

Older light blue/lavender iris--this iris was growing on the property when I bought it over 25 years ago. The bloom and overall plant is slightly smaller and taller than today's more fancy types, but it is the longest blooming iris I have ever grown anywhere.
Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed those. I sure love my iris.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several of my favorite irises

Your Irises are lovely! And I so enjoyed seeing pictures of them mixed with your other flowers. Ann

o

Oh my gosh- that last photo is my dream garden. I can almost smell it from here. What a lovely thing.
Renee

o

Your son's iris is called Superstition, the dark plicata behind the Aquilegias could be Stepping Out, the lavender edged white with blue standards is either Spinning Wheel or Everything Plus.The last one can be Eleanor's Pride or Lady Ilse.

o

wieslaw, thank you for those identifications. I will keep them on file.

Now that you mention the name "Superstition," I do remember that was one of the things that attracted my young son to that "black" iris.

The other names I'll take your word for--since I don't have any idea myself what they are.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here