Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This was among my irises...what is it?

Posted by kesrael PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 19:15

This bloomed with my irises in 2008. What is it? That was the first year I've noticed this oddity and there were only like 2-3 of them. Obviously, in this photo I was looking straight down on it. Thanks!!

Iris??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This was among my irises...what is it?

I have no idea what this one is, but it sure is spectacular looking inside of it! :)

o

Looks like a Louisiana or Species Iris, but not sure.

o

It looks like a distorted historic bearded iris bloom. It could have been affected by many different factors.

Roundup, late frosts, and just lack of nutrients can cause the flowers to either be deformed/misshapen or even lack the full sets of 3 (falls, standards, style arms, ...).

A less likely possibility is that this could have grown from seed that was pollinated by insects and fell amongst your iris and grew to blooming size. You could believe that with more certainty if you separated the unusual plant and it performed consistently in this way.

It's most likely one of the other factors though and shouldn't happen reliably. Still neat to look at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here