Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Help with ID of 2 iris

Nancy
14 years ago

I swapped last year for several iris. I'm sure they were all named, but as usual, tags on some just disappear. Garden gremlins I guess. I remember trading for the white one with blue beard, & I know it was named, hoping if someone gives me a suggestion I will remember it. The rosey one I'm less certain had a name, but I'm pretty sure that the SDB iris I traded for all had names. Here they are

SDB Creamy white with blue beard, about 10" tall for me:

{{gwi:1017044}}

SDB Rose colors, maybe 12" tall

I really like them, & the 2nd one really multiplied nicely & has had several blooms.

Comments (9)

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

The first reminds me of 'Forever Blue','Blue Line', and 'Star Of Africa', but I can't be sure.

The second doesn't make any names come to mind, but it resembles 'Raspberry Blush'. RB is an IB (which could explain the better bud count), but it could need time before it's at normal height. I could always have the wrong guesses too.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got a Raspberry Blush last year, but I have that one tagged elsewhere, which has not bloomed yet & no sign so far that is will. Still early though, & it is easily possible that I tagged it wrong. This unknown one is taller than my other SDB (SDBs are quite new for me), but much shorter than any of my IB. The colors are sure right for Raspberry Blush, but I'm not sure the form is quite right. I'll have to keep an eye on it. It had several blooms this morning when I peeked out, & has certainly bloomed far more heavily than any of the other SDB iris I have.
    I was thinking the blue one was blue eyed something, but Forever Blue is vaguely ringing a bell.
    Thanks so much for your help.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy,

I think I traded some irises with you and just wanted to say they are not from me. Might you have the member names (somewhere) that you could check with the traders?

I'm sure they were all named, but as usual, tags on some just disappear. Garden gremlins I guess.
    I've had the same problem, and it was suggested to me by a IN Daff Soc member, that when planting daffs to totally bury a piece of miniblind with the name writtin on it, with the daff bulbs. I think I'm going to try and remember to bury a tag with everything I plant, as well as giving it an above ground metal marker.

Good luck with finding names. It frustrates me so to lose the name of a named cultivar.

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've had that tip about burying a tag, I'm going to do that. I have iris, daylilies, daffs & lilies that I would like to keep the names for. Just slipping a tag in the ground, no matter how sturdy it seems, they seem to disappear. Mostly my fault when I'm cleaning up in the fall or spring I think. I found a tall bearded one this morning that has lost its tag :(
    I have never been good at keeping records of my trades. I've been making more effort since last fall. I'm definitely burying tags from now on!

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HA! I was just outside cutting the old blooms off some iris & found the tag for the 2nd one. It is indeed Raspberry Blush!

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Neat! Thank goodness for small miracles. :)

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the first one. The first name that came to mind was actually 'Bluebeard's Ghost', but I don't think BG has any yellow on the shoulders, like yours.

The closest I could get to a "blue eyed..." SDB on Dave's Garden was 'Blue Eyes Crying'. There's no photo and I'm not familiar with that variety, at all, but the color description says light and medium blue. So I think it's safe to remove that one from the list of possibilities.

I'm sure there are many other "blue eyed..." iris varieties out there though, so don't give up.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just thought I would update you-I had made a trade last year & received one called Star of India. I had tried to look it up, but couldn't find that name online, so I didn't tag it. I just came across one called Star of Africa-looks just like the 1st one, or at least it does to me.

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. I hope it's resolved. It made me smile to look back at my first guesses and see SOA there. :)

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know, you did good, pegged both of them I'm certain. I should have checked out Star of Africa more carefully. It is planted with those I got in the same trade, so it has to be right. I feel so good to be able to label it :)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert