Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Siberian Iris Crazies

newyorkrita
14 years ago

I got the iris crazies this spring. Just like everything else I get the cazies for, I can not just have afew of something. Thats how my rose crazies got me about 200 roses and the daylily crazies will have me at about 400 daylilies.

Since I got the crazies for Siberian Iris this year, I have been looking for the ones for me. Since I have lots of daylilies and know about buying directly from a hybridizer, I figgured this approach might work for the Siberian Iris also. So when I found the Joe Pye Weed Iris website and saw those gorgeous things, I just knew I was going to get some for me.

It just seems to me that the Siberians have come a very long way in the past 5-6 years. The newer Shafer/Sacks intros from this hybridizer look amazing to me.

I bought 5 of thier 2009 intros -

Cape Cod Buys

Dance Party-

Lucy Locket-

Miss Apple -

Mission Bay -

And 27 of thier intros total, of which the rest are-

Banish Misfortune-

Charming Billy-

Cream Caramel -

Dance and Sing -

Dawn Waltz-

Drowsy Maggie-

Fresh Notes -

Hot Sketch-

Humors of Whiskey-

Jerry Murphy -

Just Because -

Mister Peacok -

On Her Toes-

Painted Woman -

Reel Cute -

So Van Gogh -

Sugar Rush-

Summer Revels -

Sweet Little Susie -

Tall Dark and Handsome -

Turn a Phrase-

Waterfall Waltz-

My Suggested extras were any of the following  Berries and Cream, Barefoot Boy, Bells and Whistles, Echo In the Wind, Here Be Dragons, New Mown Hay.

My order was shipped Monday so may be here tomorrow and I can hardly wait. I have fallen in love with Siberian Iris.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe Pye Weeds Garden

Comments (18)

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Luscious!

No wonder you've gone crazy!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought they were so pretty :-))

They arrived in this afternoons mail. My mail comes late so I plan to plant tomorrow.

So, as I said, since I plan to plant the Sibs tomorrow, I only opened the end of the box to get out the planting instructions and to unwrap and look at the first plant that I came to. As I had never ordered Sibs by mail, I had no idea of what to expect. The roots are in little baggies and wrapped to keep them wet. I did not open the baggy but I think there are those gel crystals in there under the paper. I counted the fans and there were seven in the clump. This was the only one I looked at, I wraped it back up and put it back.

Tomorrow I will look at them all when I unpack to plant. Going to be a busy day and lots of work tomorrow. I am so looking forward to having these in my garden. Haven't even unpacked, much less planted and I already want more :-))

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your order newyorkrita. I'm envious.

It shouldn't make a big difference overnight, but a lot of people unpack them on arrival and place them in a bucket of water until they're able to plant.

Happy planting!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was told to soak them overnight by other people that grow Siberians. But when I read the care sheet that came with the order, it said only soak for 1 hour. So I decided to follow the caresheet instructions and soak them tomorrow just prior to planting.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, man am I dragging. I litterally just came in afew minutes ago and washed up after finishing todays project of planting all my 28 Sibs from Joe Pie Weeds. I supose it toook me longer than you think it would as I am not used to planting them, had to check and recheck the planting depth to get it right. Well, its done now.

I had originally planned to put a row of them in the slope garden in the left hand side of my front yard, in front of the hedges that back that garden when you look standing from the street. I have rows of daylilies and lilies there and intend to have a row of Sibs accross the back. But I will have to order more for there, I guess in the fall, as i completely changed my mind and did go for putting them in my back yard near my blueberries. Will take a picture of it tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Turned out pretty good. Of course, they have to grow and fill in but I am very pleased with the effect.

I also have them planted in other areas around the yard were I had planned to put them. I can just immagine the stunning late spring show they will put on once they grow and bloom :-))

• ibartoo
    14 years ago

Those are absolutely breathtaking! I am happy for you.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You would think the above list would be enough for me but I found some more I had to have.

I found an interesting place in Maine, Fieldstone Gardens.

They have two sections with Siberian Iris. One with older McEwen Intros and the other section with very recent intros from Dunlop or Cole.

I had e-mailed them and asked about shipping this spring. They answer was get your order in now and we can ship the week of May 4th. So thats what I did.

I ordered 7 Iris. My plan was to order 6 for a garden area (were 6 would fit) but 7 jumped into my cart. I got 3 McEwen intros which are older ones and 4 very recent intros by Dean Cole.

I am not familiar with either hybridizer as I am very new to Siberian Iris. My Siberians are all the Shaffer/Sacks intos I just planted. But I figgured I could not go wrong with these as all that really counts is that I like them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fieldstone Gardens

• ibartoo
    14 years ago

Are the siberian iris more reliable than the dutch iris?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes. They are nothing alike. Dutch Iris are really kind of a small bulb whereas the siberian Iris are a true perennial that comes back year after year. They are really easy, have lovely folliage that stays all year and those beautiful blooms. You will not go wrong trying some.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Fieldstone Gardens order came today in the UPS truck. They pack them alittle differently. They put them in wet spagnum moss and wrap it in brown paper and rubberband. Looks good though. I had thought to plant them tomorrow as it was raining but it stopped.

There was a big thundershower this afternoon but as soon as the rain stopped I went out and planted them. At least I only had 7 Siberian Iris to plant this time, not like the 28 I had to do with the Joe Pie Weed order. The amount of the number of fans was all over the place. One of them had only 2 fans but the rest were better. There was one that had a very large number of fans but since I was hurrying to get done before dark, I forgot to count how many.

I would order from them again as they were very willing to work with me to ship this week so that I could plant this spring.

Very pleased to have a nice start of 35 new Siberian Iris so far and one more coming.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Rita,

I am afraid to open the links to those sites. You are enabling me.

Have you tried any Japanese Iris? I found a couple of those and gave them a try.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I only ordered one Japanese Iris mail order but it has not been shipped yet. I don't have the crazies for them (the Japanese iris) the way I do for the Siberian iris and daylilies and roses and bulb lilies. But this one was very pretty so I thought I would try one.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a new little section by my blueberries were I put 10 of the new Siberian Iris. They are so small that its hard to see them but they have already been growing all around the yard in all the spots planted.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Once I get the crazies for something there is no stopping me :-)) No helping me either :-((

At any rate I just decided to order afew more Siberian Iris since I want to get as much done in the spring as possible to allow them to grow during the summer.

I already have an order in from Snowpeak Iris for 3 things and the order was not shipped as they are having too much rain for digging. So, I decided thats a good enough excuse for adding to my order.

Sib already on Order is
    WORTH THE WAIT (Shafer/Sacks intro, they were sold out)

Ordered now three Hollingworth intros-
    BLUEBERRY FAIR
    RUFFLES AND FLOURISHES
    STRAWBERRY FAIR

And two intros by Bauer/Coble-
    DOUBLE STANDARDS
    JIGGLES

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowpeak Iris

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess its time to confess. After I added to my order from Snowpeak Iris I also ordered 8 Siberian Iris from Ensata. There no hope for me, I am hopelessly hooked.

I knew that I needed to move some daylilies out of the area I intended to plant but by the time I started on it today and by the time I got the first of three moved, my mail was here and the Siberian Iris from Ensata had already arrived. So I just lifted the other two daylily clumps along with lots soil and put them in a plastic container in the shade to replant tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will put those daylilies in the left hand side of the front yard garden along side some others that have been there for years. Should look fine.

I got a late start doing anything in the garden today as it was just so darn cold earlier in the day.

Anyway, the nine I recieved today are all planted and I must say that I am very pleased with the section of garden in there. I never did really like those three daylilies in there, the Siberian Iris look right there to me, the daylilies did not. Now, I do not mean I do not like those daylilies, just did not like the location.

I am really pleased with the great plants I received. I ordered 8 and got a bonus plant too. This makes 44 Siberian Iris already planted and I have 6 more coming from Snowpeak Iris.

I bought some of Ensata's Bauer/Coble intros including the 2009 one-
    CONCORD CRUSH (2009 intro)
    KABOOM
    KABLUEY
    MAGNUM BORDEAUX
    MOON DAZZLE (bonus gift plant)

Two Hollingworth-
    SHALL WE DANCE
    VEINS OF GOLD

And -
    SURFIN SAFARI (MIller 04)
    HOOKED AGAIN (Coopland 06)

My siberian Iris collection is coming along nicely :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Ensata Japanese and Siberian Iris

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the Sibs from Ensata planted.

And here are the ones from Snowpeak planted.

I have to point out that the Ensata order I ordered doubles of each plant so thats why there are more fans.

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

Oh no, TWO more iris websites with oodles of ordering potential.

Hello, my name is dirtbert and I have an iris problem.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I emailed Joe Pye and asked for prices, bloom time and if the ones I like the best are still in stock. I prefer clumps of the same kind.

Where I want to plant them, soil tends to be on the dry side (grassy now, never water grass), shady parts of the day, sunny at least 6 hours, do they need a lot of water? The tall bearded ones would be too tall, have some yellow bearded ones that would work at the back but not other spots.

So how tall are these and are they hardy for my zone? Most importantly, would they bloom at the same time as bearded iris, a rose that is blooming now and spring daisies?

Sponsored