Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

newbie q: why the different prices in irises?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

So, I'm just starting out and was looking at several websites selling irises recommended on these forums.

Why are some bearded irises listed as $20 or even $50... while others are only like $5?

Is it a difference in the size/age of the plant...? or quality...? demand? or number of irises? I'm confused.

Comments (6)

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Check out the date of introduction. Newer iris, higher price. Older iris lower price. I'm sure that demand might also have something to do with it (if they are anything like daylilies).

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Supply and demand.

The $50.00 rhizomes are generally new introductions. Since it is a new plant, there has not been enough time to produce numerous rhizomes, so they are very expensive. New introductions are often very fancy and desirable for other iris hybridizers and collectors.

Growers have had time to plant and reproduce many rhizomes of the older varieties, so they are very cheap. And then there's everything in between. For instance, Crimson Cloud was just introduced this year, and it costs 60 bucks, but Crimson Snow from 1987 is just 12.50.

Prices for irises are for one rhizome. Quality or size does not usually have a relation to price. West Coast irises grow big fat rhizomes, whereas elsewhere the rhizomes can be smaller, depending on climate.

A few growers have high prices-like Schreiner's- but they give exceptional customer service, rarely run out of stock, and send very healthy rhizomes that are rarely mismarked. The more expensive growers also seem to offer more specials, so the prices can be competitive if you are buying a number of rhizomes.

Have fun shopping!
    Renee

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much! That makes sense!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

New introductions in iris are a BARGAIN compaired to the prices on new intros in daylilies. $250.00 or over not uncommon. So When I started in isis I was very happy to see the new intros in the $50-75.00 dollar range. A bargain from were I come from.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

D: Wow,... that's so much! Do people other than nurseries/sellers buy them?

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Lots of people buy new daylily intros as soon as they come out. At least some of the intros. I guess when you get hooked on a flower you always want something new. But most wait for the prices to go down. I have rarely spent that much myself on one daylily plant but sometimes its a just gottta have it. The past year with the slow economy has really hurt the hybidizers new intro sales as many people just didn't have the money to spend. And honestly, the prices come down quicjkly enough in daylilies so I suspect it would be the same for iris introductions.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH