Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcdmd

Shorter Bearded Iris You Would Recommend

jmcdmd
9 years ago

Okay. I love the tall ones, but I'd just as soon plant shorter bearded iris that don't require staking.

So......I'm looking for some great bearded iris that are a bit shorter in stature: 15" to 30" (approximately).

Any suggestions? I'd like to order about a half a dozen or so for this summer's planting season.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Of the SDB I loved 'Pippi Longstockings' for the excel colors (pale lemon yellow and burgundy-purple ?) as well as 'Chanted' for its smokey pinky shade and nifty interior shades in mauve. etc. Too hard to describe. Subtle.

Among IBs (less than 27") 'Candy Rock' is a neon knockout. 'Delirium' and 'Devil May Care' won the top IB award (Sass Medal). 'Rare Edition' is a reliable white/purple plicata.

"Cranapple' (BB) won the top medal.

Many, many others. What colors do you want? BlueJ Iris has a "Median-IB SDB BB" entry on this catalog page.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bluejiris.com/A.htm

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Double Your Fun is about 24" here. Its my only bearded iris so I can't compare it to any other.

It grows great, had thick, attractive foliage and repeated in the first year.

• littlebit_gw
    9 years ago

Double your Fun is an Intermediate Bearded. Since you are looking for shorter irises, look at the Border Bearded and the Intermediate Bearded. They still have the tall bearded look but are shorter.and they usually bloom before the TBs so it helps extend the bloom cycle

• brettttt
    9 years ago

I'd also add that plenty (in fact, I'd say most) TBs don't require staking, at least under normal conditions. Of course, weather is so rarely "normal." Anyway, since TBs have such a great height range (27.5 - 48+ inches), you'll also be able to find lots of TBs that are on the shorter end of that spectrum. A couple that I have that come immediately to mind are Plum Poodle and Glitter Repink, both from the good folks at Blue J. (Not an endorsement; just the ones that came to mind.)

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

Harryshoe: Just love that Double Your Fun, it is a MUST HAVE to go on my list for this year.

jmcbackyarddigger: There are soooo many iris, impossible to even start to list. I favor the SDBs and the IB, is nice not to have to stake them. Here are just a few that I love. Just depends upon the color combination you are trying to achieve. Love the Maid Of Orange. Having trouble downloading multiple pictures.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

harryshoe: I went to your page and do not see an email, please email me at flowersbytheriver2@comcast.net Thank you

• jmcdmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Keep this info coming.

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I have Cheers, Dublin, Ask Alma, Stargazer. Here are Cheers and Dublin

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

And here is Ask Alma

• User
    9 years ago

Here are some pictures of my favorite Miniature Tall Bearded Iris you might like. Ann

Little Bay Denoc MTB

Maslon MTB with Dividing Line MTB

Ozark Maid MTB

San Sousi MTB

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Sans Souci (or Honorabile - probably the same thing) dependable for something like 170 years. Shorter and never needed staking that I ever heard of and adapted to just about everywhere. Pretty good track record that.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

Rain Dance, AZ AP, Silent Strings, all blue. Rare edition, Dark Rings, Plics. Pink Kitten, Turtle Dove, SBD, Starwoman, Int.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

fantasy six inches

• lezro
    9 years ago

I have grow Western Sage, which is lavender and really pretty, for years. It gets big (width-wise) fast; the major problem is giving it away! It is an IB, available at Blue J (or from me, LOL!)

• val1
    9 years ago

Lezro - I love your Western Sage. If your are interested in a trade, I would love to trade for some. Email me if you are interested and I will see what I have that you might want in return.