Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Why won't iris bloom

Posted by jazzygardener z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 21:28

A friend of mine ask me why her iris no longer blooms. It's only a few (2-3) years old and bloomed the first year but, hasn't bloomed since. Any ideas why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Why won't iris bloom

When she bought it the flower was already formed in the rhizome. That was the 1st year bloom.

If it is a tall bearded, zone 4 is not as friendly a climate as it is to dwarf beardeds.

The growing season is short so good soil, good drainage, & full sun are mandatory. Has she planted it with the top of the rhizome exposed?

Have any babies been produced? If so there's a chance another year of healthly growth will produce a flower in the rhizome. Tell her to not trim off green leaves when they begin to flop in summer.

The last resort is to find TB's that have proved they can take zone 4 winters. Does she know its name or who hybridized it?

o

I'll have to ask her what type of iris it is and get back to you.

o

I'm wondering how many iris rhizomes she planted and how close together she planted them. If she planted them really close together, it could even be that they are too cworded to grow to blooming size.

There really are numerous reasons why they might not be blooming.

There is a good answer in the FAQ here. I have no bloom on my bearded irises. Why are they not blooming?

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here