Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

First Iris Order of the Year

newyorkrita
13 years ago

My first Iris order of the year is on its way. I got an e-mail today from Joe Pie Weeds Garden that my Siberian Iris have shipped. I learned my lesson about the number of fans last year. Even when a vendor is generous and you get 4-5 fans they sure don't look like much. I mean I am used to getting daylilies. So this year I ordered a double order of everything I got. That is I paid for two but told them not to sepoarate them as I don't want to plant them in two spots, just want twice as many fans to start off with.

Comments (24)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

That will make a difference. I don't know about Siberians, but beardeds grow so rapidly you usually don't need many. Which did you get?
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Renee,

You know that Rita has iris acquisition disease. When you have this disease, it doesn't matter how many you have, you always need more.

Isn't that right, Rita. I know, I have it too.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

So, it's not ADD, it's IAD. I always get my acronyms confused.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys. Bearded Iris have large fans. I only ever buy one when I plant. But Siberian Iris are completly different. They have slender lovely deep green fans that grow in true clumps. They don't travel like bearded iris but the clump gets bigger by adding fans much like daylilies do.

I bought two of the 2010 intros, Fiona and Pomegranate Punch.
    Then I also bought-
    Cape Cod Boys
    Dance Party
    Devils Dream
    Hot Sketch
    Miss Apple
    Mission Bay
    Mister Peacock
    Roaring Jelly
    Sugar Rush

Renee, you and Kay are both responsible for my Iris crazies. You both keep posting those gorgouse pictures of the Tall Bearded iris and I just want more and more of them. Yes, I do have the iris crazies. I have the iris crazies really bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe Pie Weeds Siberian Iris

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And they arrived in todays mail. Here they are in an old pot soaking.

Here is what one of the plants looked like as it came out of the box. The roots on Sibs need to be kept moist in transit so they are usually wrapped in wet paper towels and then stuck in baggies.

{{gwi:666395}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted them all today after their overnight soak. Five I potted up and one of those was a bonus plant. The place they are going to be planted is a new garden area and not ready yet. The rest went in ground were they are going to be growing.

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Great Rita, more enabling!

I maybe have to try a couple siberians!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love to help people spend their money on new garden plants they just have to have LOL :-))

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Wow, Rita, that's a lotta iris. I can't WAIT until they bloom.
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those new ones will not bloom this year. At least I don't think so. Would be nice if they did though.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

This is my first time ordering irises... I have a lot of spots for them. I ordered:
    REBLOOMBING BEARDED IRISES
    Boudoir
    Breakers
    China Moon
    Clarence
    Daughter of the Stars
    French Cancan
    Glitter Repink
    Mother Earth
    Pink Reprise
    Rosalie Figge
    Total Recall

SPURIA IRIS
    Belise
    Speeding Star
    Infini

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Were did you order your Spuria iris? You have alot more choices in reblooming iris in your zone 9 than we do in a zone 6. But I see you have a nice long list.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I am going to order Boudoir. It is a gorgeous bloom! I will have to look up the others on your list. I may "need" more of them.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Kay, you need more iris so that you can post more pictures when they all bloom. I love your pictures.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I ordered reblooming iris from:
    http://www.bluejiris.com/
    http://www.stantonirisgardens.com/
    I think!

and spuria from:
    http://www.wildwoodgardens.net/spuria.htm

I've never ordered iris before, so hopefully I didn't buy something that will be bad in my zone. haha....

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Here are my plants coming this fall:
    ABIQUA FALLS
    BLUEBEARD'S GHOST
    BOURGEOIS
    FISSION CHIPS
    SCREAM
    YAHTZEE

CANTINA
    FASHIONABLY LATE
    GOLDEN PANTHER
    HAPPENSTANCE
    HOUSE AFIRE
    JAIME LYNN
    LADY FRIEND
    TITANS GLORY

After that, I think I need to layoff cause I don't know where to put any more, or even these! LOL

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Excellent lists. I have seen Breakers get over four feet tall! The flowers are just huge. I really want to try Daughter of Stars too.

I love my mom's Cantina. She grows it with Total Recall and those pansies that have the purple, khaki and yellow in them. She also uses a chartreuse chrysanthemum there and some kind of bright creeping oregano. Wow.

Renee

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

Renee, I got TOtal Recall because of your pretty photos!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here my Siberian Iris are all potted up.

{{gwi:666401}}

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Aimeekitty, you will not be sorry you got that iris- it blooms from March to January here. My clump just finished its first flush. It still has a dozen flowers, but it's slowing down for a brief rest.

Rita, I think you are the Energizer Bunny!
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

You go Aimeekitty. Can't wait to see your pictures next year.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know how it happens but no matter what my intentions every spring I end up with more work out in the garden than I ever thought I would have. Still, I need to get lots of it done now, while I still can in my 60's and not wait until my 70's when I will be too tired. In fact I am tired lots of days now but lots to do so can't pay attention to that.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right now I have another order of Siberian Iris out in the old pot soaking. My order from Ensata gardens came yesterday in the mail. Great looking plants. Of course that means I have to plant them all today.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions