Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any hope for my irises?

Posted by jeannieNYC 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 21:52

I bought some dwarf irises and planted them in pots on the balcony last fall. They were doing well as they began to pop from the pots with green foliage. Then I noticed that the tips were yellow and the foliage looked withered. I realized that my BF was over-watering them and they were sitting in water because I was able to pluck the foliage out. Well, as you may imagine, I was upset and annoyed.

My question is, are the iris bulbs done for? Or can they be salvaged? Or will it continue to grow?

I also considered digging out the bulbs and see what condition they're in. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any hope for my irises?

They may have rotted. They should not be planted below the surface of the soil either, so if you cannot see the rhizomes, they were planted too deeply. I would dig them up, and if you see black or brown rot, you can cut the rotted part off, let what's left of the rhizome dry out at the cut, then replant with the rhizome at the soil's surface so its back shows, and water sparingly. You may be able to bring them back, but they won't bloom this year.

o

Thank you @hosenemesis for your response and advice. I will see how badly the rhizomes are affected. What should I do about the other pot of irises that seem to be doing ok? should i dig them up and plant them closer to the surface?

o

I wouldn't bother- you can scoop out some of the dirt at the top if you wish, but I wouldn't disturb the roots. Good luck!

o

I planted mine too deep, out of 12 i got 5 sprouting. I followed a YouTube video on how to plant them. (I won't do that again!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here