Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some more blooms

Posted by ngraham z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 22:15

Brrr, it was cold today. Temps really weren't that bad, but for some reason I just felt chilled to the bone. Thought I would post a few more photos

Starring
Photobucket

Moonlit Sea, an oldie but I like it
Moonlit Sea

Bewilderbeast
Bewilderbeast

Congratulations
Congratulations

War Chief
War Chief

New Dawning
New Dawning

I think I already showed Heartbreak Hotel
Heartbreak Hotel

And Enchanted one
Enchanted One

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some more blooms

I love Moonlit Sea too. But I have to say, War Chief sure is a nice red. You took a really nice photo of it too. New Dawning is a pretty yellow- not too gold, not too pale. Someone was asking for one like this- I hope they see your photo.
Renee

o

Renee, maybe it is my imagination, but I think my red iris look particularly nice this year, the color just seems better. War Chief didn't get as tall as it usually does though.
I always say I'm not fond of yellow iris, and tend to prefer a more pastel yellow, but New Dawning is such a nice clear yellow.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 8:55

I really like Moonlit Sea. Love the colors. New Dawn is my shade of yellow, I really don't like the harsher yellows. Beautiful pictures. Marg

o

Beautiful! I really like them. Starring, Moonlit Sea and Enchanted are especially beautiful. I think Enchanted One is my favorite even though I am not often drawn to yellows, but the combination is ao lovely. thanks for posting them.
kay

o

They all look really beautiful. And that War Chief looks truely glowing red in your shot. I know red for iris is like blue for daylilies, not really there so it probably is not as blood red as it looks.

o

Thanks Marg. I think New Dawning was not popular, I had a hard time finding it on line to compare a picture. I don't know why, I think it is pretty. Nice color for yellow, bright but not brassy; some ruffling, just a pretty iris.
Kay, I haven't really decided whether I like Enchanted One or not yet, and I've had it a few years. It definitely grabs your attention though with all the bright colors, & to me, that is a good thing.
Rita, War Chief really is that color this year, at least the color on my monitor. Of course, not a clear, bright red, but a deep, dark red color. Really lovely this year. Which I can't say the same for some recent iris that are blooming. Must be the cold snap we had, blooms on some are small & cup shaped-with the edges lifting up forming a cup. No particular iris, & not many, scattered here & there, a couple in more protected areas that didn't get so much frost last week. Just started seeing it yesterday, rather odd.

o

Really like the red of War Chief, too! I don't have Starring any more but I used to grow it. Very pretty iris, though it was often advertised as a black and white when the falls were clearly deep purple here. Still a beautiful flower!

Mike

o

Mike, STARRING is puple and white here also, not black. But still a very pretty iris.

Nancy, that is wonderful that War Chief is really that color as it sure does look stunning in the picture. My iris beds are totally full, I can't go looking for red iris, no room!

o

Starring looks almost black here, I wonder why. Although the underside is much more purple. First year for bloom for it, maybe it is the weather. As I said, War Chief is really a wonderful color, it has bloomed the last 2 years but not the same wonderful color as this year. I wish it would stay this way.

o

Ngraham, I just love the pics of your irises. Last year your were kind enough to send me a big box of iris tubers. They are the hardiest perennials I have now! I can't wait to see them bloom. Thanks again!

o

You are quite welcome. Most that I sent you are older varieties that are almost like weeds, you just can't kill 'em. They should bloom for you, I sure hope so. Sometimes iris can be persnickety though. I have some iris I got in trades that just WILL NOT bloom! Next year will be year 4 for 3 different ones I have.

o

Nancy, you have a lot more patience than I do. Anything didn't bloom in three years would surely be tossed out of my garden. But those old hystoric iris sure were (are) tough. Nothing seems to kill them or stop them from blooming.

o

Rita, if I didn't have the space available, I would get rid of them. I threaten them, but haven't followed up on it yet. Usually iris do well for me, but there are a few that just don't seem to like it here. Got Dawn to Dusk from the iris society about 3 years ago, so it should do well in this area. It has bloomed each year, but it only produces 1 new plant each year to bloom, so not really increasing any. I would really love to have a clump of it, but I guess I'll have to get more if they have it at the sale again. Beautiful bloom, but I can see why most people would toss it.

o

Heartbreak Hotel is definitely posing in your pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here