Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshmasterpat

Louisiana Iris

marshmasterpat
11 years ago

Anyone growing LA irises between Houston and LA?

Comments (11)

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I'm planning on getting some this year. The TB iris are not flourishing here. I saw some at Houston Garden Center the other day (I think $7 for a big potted blooming iris), but didn't get them because they didn't have names.

Nate

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

Dunno if I qualify being in Dallas, but I've got Louisiana irises that came with my house. Most are blue and lavender, but I've identified a red/brown variety as Ann Chowning. They take care of themselves in the regular flower beds along with daylilies and tall bearded irises, and don't get any extra water.

• dementieva
    11 years ago

That's good to hear. I like the photos of Ann Chowning.

The ones I'm eyeing are Sinfonietta and Feliciana Hills. If anyone has suggestions for particularly good growers on the Gulf Coast, feel free to comment!

Nate

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

random harvest? do yours get full sun? as in "hot blazing all day sun" or more moderated? i planted some but because of the water needs, didn't put them in the hottest sun, but where some of my lower light roses grow.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love Sinfonietta- it's a gorgeous blue.
    Here in So Cal they do best in partial shade. I grow Spanish Dancer, a light yellow with a large bloom, and a NOID purple one. I love the new introductions by Heather Pryor.

• sewnmom7
    11 years ago

please help me get this straight, is La. irises the same as walking iris? I'm looking for walking iris and I seem to understand [from conversations online] that they are the same.. please tell me true thanks so much, molly

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I have 'Black Gamecock' and 'Peaches and Wine' blooming right now. I ordered four new ones this Spring, and one of those are blooming. I don't recall which it is though because I didn't label it right away. Urg. It's either Cyclamint or Fortune Finder.

• marshmasterpat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sinfonietta is a beauty but peaches and wine and black game cock are also beautiful flowers. Was a member of LA Iris society and they have lots of the commercial nurserys listed, just scroll through those and drool over the colors.

Got several of the wild varieties here, just looking around to see what folks have.

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

ilovemyroses, my yard doesn't have full sun all day anywhere -- would guess six hours at the most -- and the Louisianas have popped up and seem to thrive all over the place. (I owe a lot to that adventurous gardener who lived here years before.) The two locations they like best are east side of the house and a south-facing bed that gets dappled shade from about four p.m. on.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Sewnmom7, Louisiana irises are not the same as walking irises (neomarica). LA irises come in a multitude of colors and sizes, whereas walking irises have a limited range of colors.

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

I have a couple, a yellow noid & a purple noid. No named or fancy ones.

Rena'

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus