Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_tea

I hope I can do this

pat_tea
14 years ago

Hi, I wanted to ask if any one can identify this Iris. I received a truck load of tubers from a neighbor who's grandfather is no longer able to enjoy his hobby of iris'.

I hope I can get this picture thing to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1018163}}

Comments (10)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Scrumptous picture but not good for id purposes. Need a side shot. In case it is with flash, which adds red usually, a color description is also needed. On my monitor it looks like rosey pink.

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

It's only a shot in the dark, but 'Cinnamon Girl' came to mind.

• regattagirl
    14 years ago

Oh gosh that photo is lovely. If you have too many, just let me know. ;o]

• pat_tea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. I looked up Cinnoman Girl and yes, I think that is it. The color is more of a russet than a rose but it is beautiful. This is the first one of grandpa's collection that has bloomed. This is the story. I am the president of a garden club in our small community in the PNW. I received a call from a woman who said that her grandfather was unable to take care of his beloved iris' and wanted her to find a home for them. When I picked them up (litterally a truck load)she told me that her grandfather had collected, grown and hyberdized his iris'as a hobby and that they were all colors, etc. So, I took them to the club meeting and everyone took what they wanted. One of our members owns a bulb company so she took a lot of them because she has the room to grow them. I took what was left and put most of them in pots because I am building a house and renting until this fall. My specialty is roses but after seeing this beautiful gift I was given I may have a new obsession (I mean hobby). Seventeen of the tubers I potted up have buds and will bloom soon. Each one will be a surprise so you will be hearing from me. And yes, I love to share so as soon as I know what I have, I love to devide and conquer. Thank you again. It makes me so sad to think of grandpa having to give up his hobby. Something that at 60 I am not ready to face. Patti

• pat_tea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is this shot more helpful?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1018164}}

• criris_z8
    14 years ago

Looks like Cinnamon Girl to me too.
    Rod

• regattagirl
    14 years ago

Wow not THAT is SO LOVELY. Gorgeous shot. I can just look and look at it.

And your story is wonderful too and made me cry. I'm in my early 40s and I have told my gardening mother in her mid-60s that I hope I have the luxury of dying while working in a garden.

She said what an awful thing to say. I suppose I shocked her with the subject but she reconsidered when I said, I'd be doing something that made me happy and can you imagine how wonderful to be older than dirt and still able to work it?

I wonder if you are nearby the grandfather and could take him a bouquet?

• pat_tea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you regattagirl. Sending him a bouquette is a really good idea. I had sent a request to the garden club to send me pictures of their blooms so I could compile them and get them to him so he could see them blooming in their new homes. I know I would love to have pictures of my rose children I left in my garden in Vancouver.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

What a great idea, sending photos of the irises in their new homes!

• irisfan_grower
    14 years ago

if you are interested in selling me any....let me know

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor