Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris with no stem?

Posted by cardwellave Mi (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 0:20

I bought three Iris from a local nursery (Block's). They were obviously foliage with buds. One of them (Blueberry delight) opened, but it's not on a stem. It opened at the base of the folage. So basically the flower is flopped all over the leaves at the bottom. Because I bought them already as foliage and not just a fall bulb/rhizome, did it not grow a stem? I am confused and disappointed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris with no stem?

Bummer! It may have done that because of the move from one place to another. Were they transplanted recently? The shock could have caused it. I expect that it will be okay the next time it blooms.
Renee

o

this sometimes happens with hosta ...

the suggestion is that the flower stem .. when still in bud form was damaged .... and stopped growing.. but the plants inclination to bloom prevails ....

should be all set next year ...does blocks specialize in iris .. where is it ...

ken

o

It is a huge greenhouse/nursery here in SE Michigan. They have like 30 some greenhouses and NO parking in the summer. Very good prices on flowers and perennials. Lowe's had some nice tall stemmed iris already bloomed but were about $10 each. I got three from Blocks for $10 and the one has the results I spoke of (although it has a second bud on a slightly taller stem maybe 4 inches). One of the others appears to have lost its bud somehow (we have had very wet weather lately), and the third has its bud still at the base of the foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here