Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

March and April Bloomers Pics

hosenemesis
12 years ago

I had a lot of photos, so I am giving you a link instead of posting them. I will try to make another of the irises from the SFVIS Tour this year and put up the link as well.

They are pretty much in the order of bloom.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: March and April Garden Irises

Comments (10)

• mrtoad
    12 years ago

miss renee

thanks for sharing - beautiful - love the way you have integrated your iris with other plants - how many varieties do you have?

mr toad

• Nancy
    12 years ago

So many pretty faces there, Renee. We have several iris in common. Persian Berry is always pretty, for some reason every year I'm surprised at how much I like it. I have Total Recall, a pretty flower but it doesn't seem to like me as much. It didn't bloom this spring, or last fall. The year before it bloomed spring & fall. Love Queen's Circle, Lookyloo, & New Perspective is very unusual.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mr. Toad- I have 52 cultivars. I have seen about 23 bloom, and a large number of those cultivars were sent as bonus irises or were given to me as gifts. About five or six are on the shovel prune list, since they have never bloomed for me.

I think I love irises so much because I can keep moving them around until I find a spot where they look good. When I do that with my other plants they resent it. I am looking for a stunning reblooming blue, a better reblooming white, and a red and white amoena that blooms well for a goodly period of time in the spring, so I will probably get a few more.

Renee

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I love, love, love your garden. Your plant combos and colors with the iris are just stunning!!!!!!!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rita. I do it all to get comments like yours :)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

It is beautiful as always, Renee.
    kay

• madeyna
    12 years ago

I just noticed your dates posted wow thats so wonderful to have blooms that early. I will have to wait until june. Did you pic some for bloom times? early mid and late season? I keep thinking I will do that but get distracted every year by all the colors and forget all about bloom time.

• anuparaj
    12 years ago

Hey Renee:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your garden..WOW
    Quick question though: what is the white daisy looking plant next to your total recall iris?

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Had a 2nd slow look at your gorgeous garden. The foxglove looks so good with Persian Berry. Love your curves.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, youse guys. I'm a foxglove fiend- I don't care how much water I have to use. It's my one big luxury.

anuparaj, the little white annual daisies are paludosum daisies. I collect seed each year and scatter it in January or thereabouts, then I weed out the ones I don't want. You may be able to find them in six-packs at the nursery.

madeyna, I am trying to get more early bloomers, since it is too hot for irises by mid-May. But I have too many criteria: rebloom, toughness, color, height... the only perfect iris for my conditions is Total Recall. It starts in March and it still has quite a few stalks right now. It will bloom sporadically through June and then have another two month big show in Oct- Nov., then keep putting up flowers until January. I rarely have to divide it- it blooms so much that it doesn't grow much. How can you beat that? I'm slightly disappointed in every other iris.