Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hensinthehouse

some of my kids

sherry Austin
10 years ago

Last summer I bought (somewhere in the neighborhood) of 40 iris.. Here are a few..
Pride of Ireland... a nice surprise.. Lovely color!

Comments (13)

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coyote Ugly (I think it's lovely!)

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pep Rally.. from the Monterey Bay Iris Society Sale last summer.. One of Joe Ghio's introductions.

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy Chilton.. I don't know who she is/was.. but this Iris has nice substance, and good rich colors... Another from the Monterey Bay Society Sale (I got over 30.. what possessed me???)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

They're all very pretty, but that Pride of Ireland really pops doesn't it? Such a nice, vivid yellow. Love it.

• booberry85
    10 years ago

Just Beautiful! I think Coyote Ugly is my favorite!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Beautiful iris, I really like Pep Rally. I thought I had giving away all my Pride of Ireland, but must have left a stub. I don't care for it much, mine looks more muddy to my eyes, but I like the clearer yellow of yours.
    Mine:

• bigred
    10 years ago

Lovely

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ngraham- your picture looks like County Cork, which I struggled w/ liking as well... Looks good w/ Edith Wolford, whose standards have some of that same color.. Here's my County Cork for comparison.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Sherry, I wonder if it isn't possible mine is County Cork. I got it from our local iris society sale about 3 years ago. They always sell their iris from a garden they created at a local school, adding few from their own gardens. I just checked iris list at their web site, no Pride of Ireland listed, but they do list County Cork. I'm sure I've seen Pride of Ireland at their sales since, but this works better for bloom time too, County Cork is listed as mid season bloomer & Pride of Ireland as early. My iris is definitely more mid to even mid late.
    Hum, guess I need to talk to someone from the iris society & get more info. Wouldn't be the first time I got a wrong one from them, I would expect an iris society sale to be better. I went to their garden this year & saw at least 3 mislabeled iris that I know. One was what I bought 2 years ago & it is still labeled wrong. Their Happenstance was purple (Happenstance should be pink). I know now to check their garden before I buy :)
    I'll try moving mine next to Edith & see if I like it better.

• arilbred
    10 years ago

you shoul be buying from reputable gardens try superstition or mid america they guarantee what they sale

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Personally, I think a local iris society is still a better option, just because you know the iris they sell grow well in your area. I would recommend them to anyone. I've purchased dozens of iris from the iris society, 4 have turned out to be wrong-not counting the other one I spotted that was marked wrong at their garden. I've been able to ID them because I can find out what they grow & sell. No shipping costs, & the rhizomes have cost me $2 - $3 ea, plus they let me pick out bonus iris making them even cheaper. Last year they charged $4 for recent intro iris (2008 or newer I think). I admit it is annoying to wait a year or sometimes 2 & find out your iris is wrong, but that can happen with even a reputable seller. I hope I didn't sound like I was putting down iris societies, I highly recommend them especially someone starting out!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Very pretty delicate soft yellow.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Absolutely, local iris society sales are wonderful places to buy irises. I recommend you join your local iris society, arilbred- you will meet lots of people to trade with who share your interests.
    Renee