Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the problem here?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 3:18

My neighbor has a big bed of irises, and most of the bed looks healthy, but about a fourth of the plants, mostly at one end of the bed, have weird looking leaves. We're in the Seattle area, where we have had a cool spring, normal amount of rain, and temperatures mostly in the high-50's so far. What can you tell from this picture?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the problem here?

to me that screams bugs or fungus. i default to soapy water treatment for either of those two problems.

i'd spray them once every other or every third day with dishsoap mixed in water (like about a tablespoon per cup, or until the water is tinted the colour of your soap). if the problem doesn't get better then try and find something for that specifically. the soapy water can't hurt the plants and it's cheap.

o
RE: What's the problem here?

Iris leaf spot. Nothing to be worried about. Just ugly. You can discard leaves like this. If you spray with a fungicide it will only inoculate uninfected parts of the leaves. Bad some years, other years none (without spraying). Rain isn't the factor. Don't believe anyone knows.

May use rose fungicide or Daconil - no reports of one being superior to the other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here