Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofeden777

Bearded Iris blooming in the south

gardenofeden777
10 years ago

Helen Collingwood blooming as a flattie here. She's not registered as a rebloomer but does rebloom in my garden. Also before I knew better I had her planted in my shade garden. And the only difference in performance was it was a little less vigorous but still bloomed beautifully and rebloomed. I have 2 large clumps of it and when one finishes blooming I will put that one in my shade garden again.

Comments (21)

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen Collingwood regular bloom.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cloud Ballet

This iris changes colors with the temperature changes. The warmer it would be the bluer it would be, I have a lot of blues & purples and there are most certainly iris that are true blue in my garden. Possibly the soil determines the difference in shade variances also. This iris could be the color of mud and I promise you it's sweet wafting scent would be enough to earn it a place in anyones garden. It's a keeper, one I can never imagine getting rid of due to it's wonderful fragrance. It perfumed my gardens 25 feet away. Too bad I can't make the pic a scratch & sniff.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Condottiere - Historic

A magnificently beautiful iris. One of my favorites, and indeed it is blue. I recall someone not liking iris whose falls stick out but every single bloom was perfect and I loved that these stuck out. Somehow with this iris it is just so fitting. Very floriferous and continually looked like a bouquet on a stalk. As each bloom was perfectly spaced from the next so each opened without interference from the others.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Condottiere bouquet view

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Abundant Sunshine another beauty, about the same height as Persian Berry so a good front of the border plant. Stunning & perfectly spaced blooms on this one also.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Abundant Sunshine in a garden shot.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double Your Fun - IB

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Afternoon Delight - very adequately named in the late afternoon it has a wonderfully sweet fragrance that wafts. It has a myriad of colors in it as well and is very beautiful.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Black Flag, definitely not black here or even close to it but none-the-less a very richly colored purple iris that draws you in.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Demi deuil - Historic

I'll add more to this post again later today. Hope you enjoyed the pics. A word for the other southern iris growers, most are doing fantastic here. The only one that definitely hated the south (as it had the best spot in the iris garden) was Copper Classic. It kept getting bacterial soft rot due to the heat and humidity. But out of over 400 it is the only one that has done that so far. I'll give the iris one more full year before I definitively say you can pretty much grow any one you want even in the deep south.

Rena'

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Wonderful garden shot...and I enjoyed your comments on each one very much...its like I was able to take a walk with you through your gardens. Thank you for taking the time to share. Ann

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

What a nice display!

Oops. Don't think that is Cloud Ballet. She has standards and falls edged in blu-lav and her beard ends in white. No fall center line.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm not surprised! This was a surprise to me from my husband (he's not the gardener) that he bought it from Sam's Club. lol He still did good as I looove this one noid or not. Any guesses on its identity? Here's a close-up of the beard. I had my suspicions that it wouldn't be 'true to form' so last year I ordered Cloud Ballet from Blue J's for a comparison.

Thank you Ann! Everyone of my gardens is being worked on/in. I'm sorta ADD like that I get bored working in one spot for to long so I move around my gardens a lot. Working some here some there...

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Sorry I don't know its name. Nice fall ruffling.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Condotterie is very pretty.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Afternoon Delight is ridiculously pretty!

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Iris Gal, hosenemesis, & brittie!

I have waaaay to many flowers to post about 30 others are due to open up any day now and still countless others in different stages of bloom stalks growing. Obviously I don't have the time to post every single one so what should I use as a guide to decide which ones to post and which ones to not post?

All suggestions welcome.

Anyone?

Thanks for viewing and commenting!!

Rena'

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

The ones that strike your fancy. That's how I decide!

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love love love Condotterie!!!! And Double Your Fun isn't far behind! Absolutely beautiful!

Tammy

• casagrande
    9 years ago

I thought bearded iris didn't like shade. I see the post at the beginning of someone putting them in her shade garden.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    9 years ago

Here in NC Iris bloom starting about Apr 15. This winter was colder than normal so a few wks late. I am looking to do an Iris swap. Anyone near Winston-Salem?

Sponsored