Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Reddish color Iris ID

treeguy123
11 years ago

This Iris is at a older home, so it may have been planted around the 1960s or 1970s:

Any help in this Iris ID is would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Some to look at!
    gingerbread castle
    carnival time
    mauna loa fire

• mrtoad
    11 years ago

others that are a bit similar

Prairie Sunset

Copper Medallion

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks both for the help.

'Gingerbread Castle' iris looked the closest in aquawise's list but there is not enough yellow in the center and the veins do not show up well enough for it to be this iris.

I think you got the closest mrtoad, the amount of veins that show up in 'Copper Medallion' look almost identical but the orther colors looks closer to 'Prairie Sunset'.
    I don't think it's any these however because the petal tips are more dark in color than these two irises (like a dark maroon color or a dark red).

However I think 'Prairie Sunset' was the closest out of all, it just needs more yellow around the orange veins and the petal tips need to be a little more dark.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What does everyone think about 'Red Amber' from 1942:

http://www.hips-roots.com/photos/red-amber2-pdelneg.html

It could be this one, but the problems are it seems to not have quite enough yellow and orange in the center of the bottom petals. Also this one seems to not have any yellow line at the center of the petal down to the petal base like in the 'Red Amber' picture. Also the darker red or pink color seems more centered in the bottom petal than centered at the base of the bottom petal like in my mystery one.

Could this be a rediscovered extinct cultivar??

See the differences in these pictures:

• jeanrichter
    11 years ago

I think this is Prairie Sunset. The general color scheme matches (the yellow central region is distinctive), and many invariant features match as well: haft marks, beard color, petal shape and carriage (the "sawtooth" edge of the standards is distinctive), and the white dart below the beard. The red is a bit deeper than is usual for Prairie Sunset, but that might be a matter of flower age or growing conditions. If it's not Prairie Sunset, then it's a close relative, but given the wide distribution of Prairie Sunset (a Dykes Medal winner), I bet that's it.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, Prairie Sunset I think could be right. Many pictures I've seen of Prairie Sunset on the internet are lighter at the tips however, but like you said, it could be growing conditions. They are growing in a full sun location, a little on the dry side, and in acidic soil. So maybe those conditions make it more red than typical.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Harvest Moon
    Alpine Glow
    Prairie sunset is a short Iris!! How tall are your plants?

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

About 17 or 18 inches tall.
    Flowers about 3.5 to 4 inches wide.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aquawise, where did you get that Prairie sunset is short?

I just searched and found out that Prairie sunset is listed in the tall bearded Iris family. Tall bearded Irises reach heights of 27 inches and above.

TB - Tall Bearded, over 27" tall.
    BB - Border Bearded, 16" - 27.5" tall.
    MTB - Miniature Tall Bearded, 16" - 25" tall
    IB - Intermediate Bearded, 16" - 27.5" tall
    SDB - Standard Dwarf Bearded, 8" - 16"
    MDB - Miniature Dwarf Bearded, Up to 8"

So does the current spring height of 18 inches make mine a MTB, IB, or SDB?? Would that height rule out 'Prairie Sunset' jeanrichter?

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, forgot one, Or a BB - Border Bearded, 16" - 27.5" tall?

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Not necessarily short but shorter than the Tall bearded ones.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus