Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracesmith_03

OMG! I caught the iris bug!

gracesmith_03
11 years ago

Hey, all! I seemed to have caught the iris bug and it's not looking good...lol I saw Renee's pics of plum pretty whiskers,(not to mention the scrumptious part of Eden she has in her backyard!) and of course was at a nursery and saw the most gorgeous dark purple/blackish iris (NoID, ARGH! What is WRONG with people!) and I am hooked!

A couple of questions...what are folks' thoughts about rebloomers? I live in 6a, is the jury still out for us? I've see that BlueJ and Shreiners is super-popular, any other vendors I should be checking out?

I will be posting a pic of the beauty I saw at a nursery once I can figure out how to get it off my phone, etc.

Any food or advice you have for an iris newbie would be super-great. :)

Comments (6)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I caught the bug last year. I ordered from Schreiner's for the first time this year. I'll be getting my order in July. (I hate to wait!) There's also been some kind people here that ocassionally offer tubers for postage when they are dividing their irises. I really don't have any advice, but will be lurking to see what others say. The one bit of advice I have is to read the FAQ on this forum. Schreiner's website also has good general advice on planting, pests, etc.

Welcome to the club!
    Becky (iris newb!)

Here is a link that might be useful: General Iris Care

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Hi. Welcome to the wonderful world of irises. They're like chocolate or chips, you can't stop at just one! What I do is buy what I really like. Sometimes they will be mislabeled, someone put the label back in the wrong pot, whatever. Buy it if you like it and post it here, someone will be able to help you out. As for rebloomers, I just bought my first rebloomers last year. None of my tall bearded rebloomed but the miniature he threw in as a bonus did rebloom twice for me, both times in Sept. Some do a better job of reblooming than others. As for planting iris, just make sure they are not planted to deep and that they get lots of sun. BTW, I'm in Canada. Good luck. Marg

Forever Violet, Miniature Dwarf Bearded

• aquawise
    11 years ago

I have over 100 named ones and some NOID's as well. This Iris bug is hard to stop. LOL as each new one blooms I add it to my Photo record.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo record

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Just remember, once you give in to the addiction, there is no going back :)
    If there is a local iris society, that would be the best place to get your iris. We have one here that sells every year, they are inexpensive & you know they will do well in your area. Some iris are just in colder or warmer areas of the country. They would be able to offer advice on which iris rebloom in your area too. I have lots that are listed as rebloomers, but very few actually rebloom.

• gracesmith_03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, all, i was MIA due to being at an amusement park with my two babies.

Becky, I guess we'll learn together. I'm glad to be part of the iris train.

Marg, thank you for the kind words...i do like coffee crisps and crunchies...:) my parents are from Quebec...and such beautiful iris! Thank you for the picture.

Aquawise, thank you very much for the link...i'm grabbing my chocolates and then will go peruse your lovelies.

Ngraham, thank you for the great advice....and the warning about addictions...:P I'll definitely hit up the local iris sale....if hubs will babysit the monkeys.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Grace, I think it is hard to get tall bearded irises to rebloom in your climate, because by the time they put up new stalks in Oct or Nov, they can get frozen and die. If you want rebloomers, try to get ones that rebloom in June, like Beverly Sills. Plum Pretty Whiskers is already putting up rebloom stalks here (but CA is iris heaven).

Take a look at the other types of bearded irises- miniature tall bearded, standard dwarf bearded, IBs, etc. We can't grow them here in Southern CA, but you can. Some of them will rebloom early.

Carlos has a list of iris vendors on his webpage. Brighton Park Irises. I have found it to be very useful. Here's the link, and welcome to the addiction. Irises are very rewarding- easy to grow, they come in almost every color, and have beautiful foliage. Cheese and rice, I sound like an iris brochure.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton Park Iris list of suppliers

Sponsored