Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Does an Iris's name influence your selection?

alisande
14 years ago

Of course, we all want irises that appeal to us visually. One might say that's the whole point. But they all have names, and those names can have an appeal all their own. Or, conversely, they can be a big turn-off.

Most of the iris in my garden have names that mean something to me, however obliquely. A good example of this is the very small order I put in (to BlueJ) yesterday. I hadn't planned to order this year, and was pretty determined to stick to that. But then I noticed some room in the front of one bed that IBs would fill so nicely. And then I started thinking about other reasons to add to my iris collection.....

I ordered {{gwi:1019375}} to honor my dear cousin Terry, whom we lost late last year. The name reminds me of her, of course, but so does the coloring.

is for my 16-year-old dog, Angel. Again, not only the name, but the liberal use of grey in the coloration, as Angel is a grey Briard mix.

for my daughter Gillian, who died on Memorial Day eight years ago. I have many irises named for Jill.

for her Husky-Shepherd, Wolfy, who will join his beloved owner at some point in the not-too-distant future.

for this story, which brought me a much-needed check this year and which people (amazingly) still continue to read.

{{gwi:1019377}} for another dog. His name was Thunder, and he was my first German Shepherd. Gone more than 30 years ago now, but never forgotten.

is for all the positive things in my life.

How about you? Is the name ever a factor in your selection?

Susan

Comments (6)

Sponsored