Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does an Iris's name influence your selection?

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 8:35

Of course, we all want irises that appeal to us visually. One might say that's the whole point. But they all have names, and those names can have an appeal all their own. Or, conversely, they can be a big turn-off.

Most of the iris in my garden have names that mean something to me, however obliquely. A good example of this is the very small order I put in (to BlueJ) yesterday. I hadn't planned to order this year, and was pretty determined to stick to that. But then I noticed some room in the front of one bed that IBs would fill so nicely. And then I started thinking about other reasons to add to my iris collection.....

I ordered Terryton to honor my dear cousin Terry, whom we lost late last year. The name reminds me of her, of course, but so does the coloring.

Crazy For You is for my 16-year-old dog, Angel. Again, not only the name, but the liberal use of grey in the coloration, as Angel is a grey Briard mix.

Sings So Softly for my daughter Gillian, who died on Memorial Day eight years ago. I have many irises named for Jill.

Stairway to Heaven for her Husky-Shepherd, Wolfy, who will join his beloved owner at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Bedtime Story for this story, which brought me a much-needed check this year and which people (amazingly) still continue to read.

Thunder Spirit for another dog. His name was Thunder, and he was my first German Shepherd. Gone more than 30 years ago now, but never forgotten.

Good and True is for all the positive things in my life.

How about you? Is the name ever a factor in your selection?

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does an Iris's name influence your selection?

Yes I have but I though I was the only one . Its nice to know someone has done the same thing. I bought Starship Enterprise this year because my husband loves that show.

o

I generally buy b/c of the colors, but I imagine that if I came across an iris that had a name that spoke to me I'd do the same! Makes the garden more meaningful I imagine! Have you ordered from Blue J in the past? I placed my first order with them this year.

o

Yes, this is my fourth year ordering from BlueJ. The previous orders were a lot larger, and BlueJ was generous with bonuses. I've been very pleased with the quality and service, and of course the prices.

Here's a link to photos of quite a few of my irises. Except for one or two historics, all are from BlueJ.

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan's Irises

o

Probably, because it's fun to have a "reason" to create a collection.

I'd also collect based on crazy names...like the one about the baboon's butt.

But if I love "the look" and the name doesn't mean anything, it would probably still go on my want list.

(With hosta, I could make a collection named for patriotic things, sewing things or names of my siblings, etc.)

o

I got Abbey Road both because of its beauty & its name, & I too love Starship Enterprise.

& I've had the opposite impulse-

wouldn't get "Pretty Quadroon" or "Harlem Hussey" (or some such) because I don't like the name.

& "Bride's Halo"-
seems weird to think of a bride having a halo;
angels have haloes, brides have veils & white dresses.

o

I don't think so. I look at the catalog photos and think about how I hope it is going to bloom. These bloomed for the first time this year, blue one has more lavender shades than I wanted (Mariposa Skies) looked Dark Blue in photo, guess it's mostly blue after all. I love the second one; it's even more gorgeous today (Chasing Rainbows). I don't think I looked at the names until I saw the photo unless it was subconscious. I do like the names though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here