Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help id this dark iris!

Posted by gracesmith_03 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 9:53

Hey, all! I visited a nursery with a NoID iris..(figures!) It is just gorgeous; I'm trying to figure out which darker one it is...does anyone know? Thanks!

[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u453/gracesmith_03/Dark_iris.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help id this dark iris!

Whoops...
Photobucket

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 11:26

Do you think it may be Anvil of Darkness by Schreiner's?
http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SIGO&Product_Code=102157&Category_Code=TBI

o

Possible...any reason you feel it's not Before the storm?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 9:13

Both irises look similar to the one in your picture, it could very well be either? Do you remember how tall it was? BTS is 37", a late season bloomer and fragrant. AOD is 30" a mid season bloomer and also fragrant. The height would be a factor in deciding who it is. Marg

o

Wow, Marg. Great help! Wasn't thinking about measurement at the nursery (told you i'm a newbie..and i had a tape measure in my purse!) So i guess i'm hoping that it's BTS as that's the one i located at a local nursery...(three huge flower spikes in a gallon pot for $12! YAY!) So hopefully it's the same one...and if not, there is always next year...:)

o

Definitely not Before the Storm(totally different shape of the flower). Before the Storm has tailored shape, no ruffling. There is no reason for looking for the most improbable choices, when the iris looks totally like Hello Darkness. If it has like 6-7 buds, it is Hello Darkness.

o

well, poop. that figures. lol at least it'll be one to tide me over till I get some cool iris. Thanks for the help with ID, wieslaw59.

o

Tough to tell which iris it is without beard color, bloom period, etc. There are dozens of irises in this color. It's \very pretty in your photo, especially with the companion plantings. You may be very happy with the iris you bought.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here