Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regattagirl_gw

ID of a mini/dwarf?

regattagirl
14 years ago

First I don't know if this is a mini or a dwarf (still need to learn the difference).

Light chocolate up, gold down and the beards seem to glow. It bloomed in zone 4b last week at my mother's house.

It's a division from my 81 year old uncle and he doesn't know what it is. If it helps, my uncle is in Southern Minnesota (thinking distribution, sales and trading of hybrids might be regional).

THANK YOU!

Comments (5)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

First I don't know if this is a mini or a dwarf (still need to learn the difference).

Very pretty, but can't help with a name. I thought you might like to check out the link below...so you can learn the difference, and tell us what yours is then.

hth.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of Iris Types

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm...thank you for the great link. Are the measurements for the ground to the top of the leaves or the top of the blooms? I'd say this is probably a dwarf then because it is taller than 8" on either count, more like 12".

'Indian Beauty' is my closest guess so far but I can see small differences.

Onward!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Are the measurements for the ground to the top of the leaves or the top of the blooms?
    I'm not sure myself. Hopefully someone who is 'in the know' will tell us both.

Sue

• ladylovingdove
    14 years ago

Measurements are for from the ground to top of flower. Standard Dwarf 8 to 15" tall.

Dot

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yup! I saw a mini just last night. So tiny. The leaves are only as wide as some grasses I've seen. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored