Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foliage after transplanting

Posted by lalala 6 (metro Boston) (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 11:15

I moved/divided some bearded irises last week just after they had bloomed. (I needed the spot for a new shrub so cut the flowers to bring inside.) I left the foliage on, but it's looking very floppy and messy. Can I cut the foliage off? tie it up so it looks neater? or will it be better for the plant if I just leave it be?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foliage after transplanting

It will be better if you can leave it on. I stake them up with those metal sticks with the open circle at the end until they start sucking the water back up into the leaves. By then the leaves that will die have died, and I cut (don't pull!) them off.

If you can't stand it, though, it probably won't kill them to cut the foliage back. Don't cut it too close.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here