Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila888

Help ID These Irises

lila888
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I also caught the iris bug. I grow a few no Ids and a lot of named ones bought last fall. I did a search online and found that the first pic look like Terry Joyce, the second Beverly Sills and the third kind of look like Ambroisie. And I have no clue on the fourth and fifth.

TIA

Lila

Comments (13)

• Nancy
    11 years ago

4th one is probably Thornbird

• lila888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ID. I received a few rhizomes of Thornbird last fall from a GW member.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

The last one can be Breakers , kind of hard to tell because of the lighting.

• lila888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked Breakers and it does look like it.

Here is a photo I cropped from a group shot.

Thanks Wieslaw.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Oooh- that last one is tough. There are so many like that. Beautiful garden!
    Renee

• lila888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Renee! May I ask what do you think of my identification on the first three irises?

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Iris number 3 looks identical to a freshly opened flower of Helene C. But it is from France. Do you have French Irises over there?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I think that the yellow does indeed look like Joyce Terry, and the pink looks like Beverly Sills. I'm not familiar with the third iris, but I also think the fourth is Thornbird. I'm not very good at this, though.

The last one is very hard. There are hundreds of purple-blue irises that look just like that. It does not have many distinguishing features.

Here are some questions:
    Does it have purple-based foliage? (Look at the bottom of the leaves and see if there is a purply-red tinge.) That will give you another clue. How tall is it? How big is the flower, and how many buds do you get on one stalk? When does it start blooming, and does it rebloom? It looks like it has a blue beard- is there any other color in the middle of the flower? Would you describe the real color in the garden as more purple or more blue? And where did you get it- might they have an idea of when it was originally purchased? That could rule out some newer irises, if it was originally purchased in 1988, for instance.

A fun mystery to unravel.
    Renee

• lila888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Wieslaw,

I think French irises are grown here too. I know one French hybridizer and his name is Mons. Cayeux. Maybe some of the experts here will chime in.

The coloration of Helene C. is not the same as the iris I have. Here is a photo taken yesterday.

Thanks,
    Lila

• lila888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Renee,

Thank you so much for your input.

To answer some of the questions:

It doesn't have PBF. I grow Reversi and Loreley and both have PBF. It is quite tall, maybe 38 inches or taller. It's beard is blue and its color is more purple. I took a peek inside of the flower and the 3 thingies has white edges. I got this iris from a trade here at GW and told me they were thinned out from hers and her mother's gardens and were bought from those reputable iris vendors. This is its second year that bloomed for me and didn't see it rebloomed last year. Can't comment on bloom count per stalk, but I know it has a lot and also can't comment on its blooming period.

Thanks again,
    Lila

• daylilyluver
    11 years ago

I think that the 5th one is Gypsy Romance. It looks alot like mine. Nice inky purple with a Blue beard that "bleeds" a bit onto the falls.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

No Gypsy Romance here, 100% sure. I recognize Gypsy Romance with my eyes closed. Gypsy Romance is reddish purple, this one is violet blue.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

They are gorgeous!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living