Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sussgirl_gw

Multicolored irises..

sussgirl
14 years ago

Hi!

I have seen several irises that is multicolored or miscellaneous and i wonder if any of you grow them and can recommend me. If it is vigorius or is florifius.

Cerf volant, Dear Jean, Petit Caprice, Masterplan, Change of Pace, Thunder Echo, Chevalier de Malte, Poesie, Toile de Jouy. Many of this irises looking alike so i want some help to pick the best irises.

Last year i bougth Thunder Echo and Change of Pace but it wouldn grow this year but i love the pattern. Shold i try them again or is there any oter iris that look alika them that is better?

Tell me your opinion about this irises.

Hopes for answers.

Sincerely Susanne

Comments (12)

• carlos42180
    14 years ago

For mutlicolored iris, you must try MEGABUCKS!

{{gwi:1010461}}

• sussgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi!

I love the colors in Megabucks so i bougth it last year and hopefully it will bloom for me this year. This is one of the irises that i bougth that has grown well, some of them has rotten this winter.

/Susanne

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Carlos,
    Thank you for posting the picture of Megabucks! I have to have it!
    kay

• happyday
    14 years ago

The photo of Megabucks above is different than the one on Schreiner's website

Carlos did you get your Megabucks from Schreiners? Did you use an orange filter on the camera? I like your orange/magenta bloom better than the Schreieners yellow/purple

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Here are some photos of 'Megabucks' from my own garden. Carlos' is right. Unfortunately, Schreiner's has been notorious for inaccurate photos. If you search the forums for them, you might find some of the topics regarding their photos.

{{gwi:1020332}}

{{gwi:1020333}}

• shapiro
    14 years ago

Hello Sussgirl: Iris roots rotting over the winter is a sign that they are perhaps planted in a spot that stays "wet" - maybe the area is "low" compared with other parts of your garden. Irises can't stand to have "wet feet" - perhaps if you raise the bed your irises will do better. Anyone else have any comments?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Anyone else have any comments?
    What you said shapiro, but also maybe being planted too deeply, or mulched, along with bad drainage.

Sue

• sussgirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi!
    The bed wher i have my irises is very dry so i don´t think it´s the problem here. I got a plant of "Starship enterprice" to survive there without a problem. But i´ve noticed that the irises that i plant in the middle of september has rooted better than the irises i planted in the summer. So this year i´m going to by irises and plant later in august-begin of september.

/Susanne

• happyday
    14 years ago

Eroctuse, maybe it's the camera or software, but each of the four Megabucks pictured in this thread look different from each other. Your two are slightly different from each other but more like the Schreiners, and Carlos is more orange than any of the others.

Did both you and Carlos get your rhizomes from Schreiners?

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Hi happyday,

I don't know where Carlos received his start from, but mine was from Beautiful View Iris Garden and none have proven mislabeled.

Color varies greatly from camera to camera (and monitor to monitor) and the majority of it is affected by white balance settings. Lighting and saturation play parts as well, as do a slew of other factors.

Just for a laugh, here's one of my photos tweaked to one end and another:

{{gwi:1020334}}
    {{gwi:1020335}}

The true way to get a final answer is to check the AIS official registrations and introductions: "S. blended flame yellow and capucine gold; F. brilliant fuchsia rose blended with copper red, shimmering blue haze; beards flame copper"

• carlos42180
    14 years ago

Hi Happyday,

I received my start of Megabucks from Lakeside Iris Gardens and it is a trustworthy grower. The photograph of MEGABUCKS from my garden is accurate to both my eye and my personal computer monitor.

That said, what Eroctuse mentioned is very true. Every computer monitor displays color differently. Many modern monitors have "temperature" settings with screen settings such as "warm", "cool" and "normal."

Time of day also affects color. I usually take my photographs either early morning or late afternoon, as its the only time I can, due to work. Cultural conditions and climate can also affect intensity of color. The colors of my Iris are usually very bold and bright, since we don't get a lot of hard sun until summer.

Being a HIPS member, this is why it is very important when trying to ID an iris to look at things such as form and PBF (purple-based foliage) rather than color.

Even though I am an avid Schreiner's introduction collector (I grow about 550 of their 850 introductions), the Schreiner website is notorious for incorrect color, which are often over-exposed and lacking in detail. Their catalog, although beautiful, is a bit better, but the blue irises are just too blue.

I'm pretty sure that what Eroctuse and I are growing as MEGABUCKS are one in the same.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Thanks all for posting about the colors on the Schreiner's website. I have been disappointed at the color of some of my flowers from them, but now I know to look at other websites before I buy. Megabucks is gorgeous.
    Renee

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living