Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any hope of ID?

Posted by bobanda 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 11:36

Prepare for long and wandering narrative:

So four years ago exactly, my first nephew was born. I traveled to see him and was captivated by my sister in law's irises in full bloom in Richmond Va. I thought I felt a little pang of jealousy and longing for a voluptuous bed of my own irises. I attributed it to the fact that emotions were swirling out of control and who would not love sitting in the beautiful May sunshine in a bed of irises with a newborn baby sleeping on one's shoulder!? I ignored it since I'm a good old fashioned rose-and-daylily girl and irises are just... well... irises, right?

Last year we bought our first house and planted beds full of roses and daylilies. Thanks to my aunt and some guerilla gardening, I was able to salvage some heirloom irises from my old homeplace which is under new ownership, so I planted those for purely sentimental reasons. I would never BUY an iris, you know.

So here we are in our first spring as homeowners and gardeners. The roses have plenty of buds but no blooms. The daylilies have plenty of folliage but no scapes. BUT, my gardens are delightful, thanks to the heirloom IRISES!!! So yeah... I am giving in. Maybe I'm an iris girl afterall. O:)

Any idea what this lovely is? From the old farmhouse, been there 35+ years until it came to live with me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Iris Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any hope of ID?

Accent?

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Iris

o

I am going to go with Nashborough~~1954
I would trade some of my Iris for a start of that one.
I have some very old ones and some new awesome ones. PM me if you are interested. Pics of a few below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery

o

I love your gallery, aquawise.

o

Thanks! I am pretty sure it is Accent. I posted it on facebook and my great aunt said her mother had a huge iris bed, from which this one probably came, so it makes sense.

o

So glad you found it! thanks for sharing.

o

I had this iris appear a couple of weeks ago. I live just north of Richmond, but these came from my Mom's Flower Garden of the 50s and 60s via my sister who took some to Indiana.

Here is a link that might be useful: ??? Iris

o

It looks just a little like Frank Adams, very common one around here.

o

DaveHertle,

Your yellow/red iris looks just like mine, which I have decided looks most like 'Accent'. It is very similar to Frank Adams but more vibrant of a yellow hue where Frank Adams is more muted. Accent was introduced in 1953, so that puts the timing into perspective too.

Good luck finding answers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here