Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Iris that Does Have to be Divided

Posted by jakejones (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 11:48

What is the name of a blue iris that grows very well in the Mid-Atlantic and blooms well each and every year without division? It is about 30-36" high and it looks like a German bearded iris. The blooms are light blue and smaller than the modern hybrids. Thanks!

It might be an older variety or a species. I like it a lot because of the ease with which it grows. It has been in one spot for ten years and still blooms extensively. Clumps divided off grow quickly and bloom well the next year. Are there other varities like this one?
Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Iris that Does Have to be Divided

Title was wrong last time. I meant to write:

Blue Iris that Does NOT Have to be Divided.

o

Hi Jake,
I don't think anyone knows. I have a clump of old historic iris like yours that blooms with almost no care at all. Since there are so many dozens of old blue and lavendar irises, it is pretty impossible to tell the name of yours.

I would bet that there are numerous old historic iris that are easy care. There's a yellow one that reblooms (I'll try to track down the name for you) and a girlfriend gave me a white(ish) one that bloomed like mad and reproduced better than a pair of bunnies, but she had no name for it.

Your old tried and true blue probably blooms even better when you divide it. I got 26 flowers on one bloom stalk on mine!

Renee

o

I think it's Iris Pallida, Sweet Iris.

Are there other types just as good for plant habit?

o

I don't know. Where I live in Socal the tall bearded iris "Total Recall" starts blooming in April and does not give up until November. I have been dividing it every year to spread it around the yard and to give to friends, so I don't know how long it will go without division.

I have been looking into the spuria irises as well.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here