Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is batik a form or a cultivar

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 11:50

the standard is the blue/purple one w/white .. and i think it is named batik .... correct me if i am wrong ...

are there other colors with white ...

what is the group called.. because a cultivar can not be a group name...

its a pretty simple question.. though one would not think so from that rambling.. lol ...

ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is batik a form or a cultivar

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 11 at 13:11

"BATIK" is the registered name for this cultivar.
Not sure what you mean by group, but BATIK is a Tall Bearded Iris Hybrid.
The pattern on Batik is referred to as broken color and comes from the plicata pattern genes.

o

ok.. i will try again ....

are there other iris ... that have the color pattern of the blue batik???? .. the splashes ...

i googled broken color.. and see that there are many with falls that way.. but batik is the entire flower ...

bear with me.. and thx

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: is this its name.. or commentary .. lol ...

o

Broken Color?

o

That iris is 'Isn't This Something' and it is a broken color pattern iris like 'Batik.' I like 'Brindled Beauty' as well, and today 'Maria Tormena' opened for me. Each flower that opens has a different pattern to the splashes. Sometimes Batik will get a flower that is all blue or all white. Same with the other broken color irises.

Zebra Iris Gardens specializes in broken color irises. Rita bought a bunch of them two years ago.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Bewilderbeast at Zebra Gardens

o

well thanks.. its hard to find a term.. when you dont know the term ..

anyone up for starting a new term....

batikenized????

lol

one more week or so.. and i should have my first iris opening.. its been a very slow and cool spring.. and everything is very late.. as you can tell.. i am going a bit iris stir crazy .. lol .. perhaps an understatement ...

ken

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 23, 11 at 17:38

..... Batik is far from unique ... see what I did there...

The best in that pattern/color is Jumpin Jack Flash IMHO...

If you have the broken color disease try connecting to Brad Kasperek's Zebra Gardens catalog

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Jumpin Jack Flash pict

o

Zebra Gardens have a lot of the broken color iris. As you say, most just have the pattern on the falls, but if you look you will find some that you are talking about I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: broken color iris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here