Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

'Immortality'

marricgardens
14 years ago

I was thinking of getting 'Immortality' but I have seen several pics on various sites and the iris are all a different shape. What I like is the true tall bearded shape. Does anyone have this one in their garden? How does it perform? Is the shape truly that of the bearded iris? Thanks. Marg

Comments (19)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I bought Immortality about 8 years ago from our local iris society. It is less than 30" tall, not a huge flower but it is pretty. I would never call it a good performer. It took it a couple of years to bloom, & it has never rebloomed in the fall for me. I talked with one of the iris society ladies, who told me it can be picky. It is great if it likes where it is, apparently mine doesn't like it here. It has multiplied nicely, & is just coming into bloom here, looks like it will be nice this spring.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My options were either Immortality or Garden Bride. I know that Immortality is supposed to be a rebloomer, GB isn't but the blooms on it appear to be larger. Thank you for your helpful comments. You helpoed me make up my mind. I think I will go with the larger GB. Thanks. Marg

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Ngraham's photo looks about the same as mine, but I have been very satisfied with both initial and re-bloom on this iris. Maybe it's a regional thing, but here in my Zone 7 garden in coastal NJ, it reblooms nicely in the fall - last year in October ... which is, admittedly, a strange time to see iris in bloom.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wouldn't your coastal garden be a bit of a microclimate? Aren't coastal gardens usually warmer? Maybe 'Immortality' is a warmer zone plant? That could explain why yours does so well. Marg

• tambo747
    14 years ago

Hi Marg,
    I'm a little late in responding to your post, but last fall I planted several reblooming iris's and Immortality was one of them. It was my first time planting Iris and I am relatively new to gardening, however Immortality is doing very very well. It is not as tall as the others but one the one stock I have, there are several blooms. They are big, beautiful and pure white. I'll try now and post a pic:

Tammy

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy. Thanks for the info. The first time I saw it was in Gardens West magazine. Since then I have looked at different sites for it. I saw it on different sites and saw it in a different shape each time. Your pictures show what looks like a completely different iris. I guess it would look different in everyones garden. It really does look like a really nice iris, worth getting. Does it rebloom for you? By any chance, do you have 'Breakers'? That is a nice blue repeat that I would like to get.Marg

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I planted a couple last year, and they haven't bloomed yet. Compared to Mariposa Skies (I got both from American Meadows, 6 MS and 2 Immortality), it isn't multiplying very fast, but I think if I'm patient, I may get something out of it. I know not to mulch them or water too often, just when very dry later in the summer if no rain for 3 weeks or so.

Mine I tend to want to plant too deep which takes longer for them to bloom. I moved a couple and planted a pot I'd overwintered in the sunroom more shallowly. We'll see what happens.

I guess if Im. doesn't do well, I will substitute something else there.

I ordered 3 more kinds yesterday, and I've decided that you had better not go by photos. Chasing Rainbows bloomed remarkably true, but the others I've seen photos on the web of growing in peoples' gardens, and they don't look exactly like the ones in online catalogs.

• SirMatthew
    14 years ago

Marg,

I live in Iowa where our winters get VERY cold, and the summers warm, and I've had good luck with Immortality.

I have had it bloom as late as October and even into November! It also spreads decently, too.

The first is in the spring, the second shows it in October.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

sir matthew, that's encouraging. I'm in Eastern Iowa, and figure most bearded iris are pretty hardy. Yours are beautiful. What is the pinkish lavender or purple one? Very pretty.

I'm not used to the idea that they may rebloom, My Mariposa skies is supposed to do that. I don't buy them on that basis alone, but it's nice that some do that now.

• tambo747
    14 years ago

Hi Marg,
    I live in a suburb of Montreal, so we have a very similar climate (I believe you are in Ontario). This is my first bloom, so I'll have to keep you posted as far as the quality of the "second" bloom. I bought Immortality from Vessey along with 6 others. I do not have "breakers". I did order a beautiful blue called best bet, but it barely made it over the winter and am waiting for replacments. I have painted cloud and mother earth which are doing amazing. The blooms are huge, more than double the size of my hand.
    I can post more picks if you would like and will keep you posted as far as the reblooming goes.
    Take Care,
    Tammy

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sirmatthew: Sounds like we have similar growing conditions. It's great to hear how well Immortality is doing for you. Your pictures are awesome!
    Tammy: It will be interesting to see how the second bloom is. I do not yet have any rebloomers but would like to get some. Mother Earth is on my list as well as Immortality and Breakers. I am putting in an order with Chapmans. I would love to see more of your pictures! Thanks. Marg

• tambo747
    14 years ago

Here are some pic's of Mother earth, and one of both in perspective, but I find the picture does not do the flower justice. Let me know if you'd like different pics from other angles it just takes 1 minute to do!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures Tammy. Mother Earth is even more gorgeous than I thought! I was going to order Starship Enterprise but the grower I talked to said he considers it a warm zone iris since he had tried growing it several times over the past few years and it always died on him. I think I have to replace it with Mother Earth. To bad he doesn't have that one. I'll have to wait and see if Veseys has it on again. Thanks again. Marg

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Marg - Mother Earth is available at Breck's this year in a rebloom package, The Twice As Nice collection. I bought that package last year and all have done well for me. Immortality is the bonus in that collection and the blue one, Ocean Pacific is awesome! My TB's are just starting to bloom here in Edmonton. If I can get my computer to cooperate I will post pics. So far blooming: Rosalee Figge, Batik, Champagne Elegance, Lenora Pearl, Maid Of Orange, Autumn Orchid and Best Bet.

Ginny

• tambo747
    14 years ago

Just to let you know, I have only ever mail ordered from Vessey. The rest I but from my local nurseries. I ordered a collection of 7 reblooming iris (best bet, clarence, pink attraction, champagne elegance, Immortality, mother earth, and painted cloud). Only 3 are flourishing, the others will be replaced (by Vessey's) this fall. When I received the rhizomes they all looked big, healthy and were firm, and although they were all planted the same way, 4 had bulb rot this spring. They offer the same collection in this falls catalog, however maybe check out Breck's and see if the quality is better and also, you may prefer their color selection.
    What ever you choose, make sure the rhizome is exposed to the sun with the roots planted deep and fanned out. It is also recommended for newly planted Iris to mulch heavily with pine needles over winter, but remove it in very early spring!
    Good Luck!
    Tammy :)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ginny, thanks for the tip about Brecks. Sounds like a good deal. I ordered some from Walnut Gardens last year and so far one is blooming. I think it is 'Acoma', the extra one they sent. The others are all budding up. Can't wait to see what they look like. The other two I have flowering right now are called 'Summer Snow', a deep red, and 'Rock Star', a pink/white/yellow blend. 'Rock Star' seems to be really fast growing and already needs dividing. I would love to see your pictures.

Tammy, I've heard different opinions about ordering from Veseys but thought I would try the iris collection. Thanks for posting yhour experience! I'm going to check out Brecks. Currently I have about 10 irises but never have enough!

Thanks for the tips ladies. Marg

14 years ago

Marg - I have over 200 irises at present and will have well over 300 by the fall. NEVER enough irises! More turf to be dug up by August.
    Sharon (crazy gardener) has been very helpful to encourage me not to give up on my shipments from the large mail order companies ie: Vesey's. This year I will pot them up if they arrive too late
    Irises are well worth the wait when you see those beautiful blooms! I have had many comments from friends and neighbours as to the stunning blooms! I'm going out to take more pics and will try to get them up. Go for it!

Ginny

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Ginny. We all need a little of that now and then. I've decided to order the Twice as Nice Collection but I'm also placing an order with Chapmans. He has some really nice ones. One question. When you make a bed, do you put just irises in it or do you mix with other perennials to show them at their best? I usually mix mine. I have seen beds with just irises in it but I think they look rather bleak when the irises are finished putting on their show. Marg

14 years ago

I have most of them in mixed beds. Usully lilies, peonies, daylilies, stuff that can take a bit of dry. Irises don't like soggy soil. With the little guys, SDB, I put dianthus and annuals around them. The dianthus get bushy later in the spring and the annuals fill out the spaces, usually snaps which are my favorite. I try to have something blooming at all times and I like the really full look of an English country garden. With all the beautiful annual and perennial grasses around, I am going to give that a try with the irses this season. I also like many cereal grains and they double as food for the birds. That is the beauty of gardening for me. Experimenting. I am also a seamstress and have made many a masterpiece out of scraps.
    I have a huge order in at Trails End this year. They have been excellent to do business with. Still trying to justify spending money I don't have to put my order in to Chapman's! Always something to look forward to! And it keeps me out of trouble!

Ginny

Sponsored