Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrytea4me

Surprise babies!!

berrytea4me
15 years ago

I was weeding under my Dorothy Perkins rose, which has overgrown other plants originally put under her, and found that my NOID white siberian iris was busy last year....26 seedlings now transplanted to a nice observation area.

This has been a long neglected area and I did not even see the iris bloom last year but these are certainly new seedlings, some still had the seed casing attached. Amazing how similar their root structures look to daylily seedlings as they sprout.

There are a few daylily fans out there that seem too far from the mother plants to be rhizome spread so now I'm wondering if I have some other surprises to come...some of these are large enough to possibly bloom this year.

I'm getting lots of surprises in my garden this year...last fall I found tree peony seedlings too. Seems the plants and the bees have been busy.

Anyone here hybridizing iris? Have tips on evaluating seedlings? How long before sib. iris sdlgs first bloom?

Comments (9)

• orchidsrule
    15 years ago

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Peloria7/Plants/100_0043_r1.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Peloria7/Plants/img_0720.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Peloria7/Plants/img_0734.jpg

These are all random Iris seedlings that popped up in my garden.

I honestly have no time estimate for you. Ever since the surprise beauties bloomed, I kept my eye out for other seedlings. After looking, I realized that the iris bed were LITTERED with seedlings. I suspect that it take 2-3 years. I think most of mine that didn't bloom will bloom next year, or the year after. They just sent up a single leaf.

• berrytea4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, those are lovely! I really like the color contrast and veining in the 2nd one.

I know mine are from this year because many still had seed pod attached to the basal root when I dug them, but most already have 3-5 leaves..tiny leaves.

What color was the pod parent in yours? Do you have more than one possible parent in the same area?

I only had the NOID white and yellow one but for all I know there are older seedlings in the bed. The original clump is spread out all over the place under the rose with space between new growth so I don't know if the adult plants are spread by rhizome or potentially other seedlings.

• orchidsrule
    15 years ago

I have no idea what the pod parent looked like. All of our siberians are purple, so I suspect it is some sort of hybrid between the bearded ones and the siberians.

Some of them got there because my dad scattered the seed from irises he saved back from the 80s when he lived in Tennessee. I've also randomly scattered seed from the siberians throughout the garden. Why throw away free seed when you can plant it in the garden?

I've noticed a peculiar trend though. Only the siberian irises ever set seed...

I'll post pictures of the irises when they bloom this summer. I think they need to divided, so I'll also tag the plants so I know which colors are which. They haven't bloomed well the past two years, but neither has anything else, so maybe the winters are to blame.

• berrytea4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your siberian seedlings won't be true to the parent even if self-pollinated. So even if both parents were the same purple you could get any color combination available in the genes. That's what makes hybridizing so exciting.

I don't know whether bearded and siberian iris can interbreed. I don't think so though. I do think siberians are physically built to make self-pollination easy as compared to bearded iris. Bearded are more rarely to set pod unless deliberately fertilized.

So, your purples must be both the pod & pollen parents except in the case of those that your dad brought in from his garden.

Would love to see your pictures from this year.

• irisqueen217
    15 years ago

I am working on hybridizing irises. I have 3 types of siberians and 12 TB. I have a seed pod, ( this is mt first year hybridizing ) and I am excited to see the pod turn! :)

• farmfreedom
    15 years ago

In most cases it take 3 years from seed to bloom in irises .
    good luck!

• mike_g_
    15 years ago

I live in SW Ohio and I get about 60% first year bloom on TB & SDBs( seeds planted spring of one year and bloom next spring).

I have had re-blooming SDBs bloom the fall after seeds germinated that spring. I know that further south some have TB re-bloomers do it.

Not into Siberians but most take 2 to 3 years to bloom.

Mike G

• eroctuse2
    15 years ago

I'll be honest and say I haven't read all of the posts in this topic so I hope I'm not making things repetitive, but orchidsrule, the second and third photos you linked to look like dutch iris (a bulbous iris) to me.

The first image does appear to show SIBs, though.

• berrytea4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm guessing about 20% of the SIB seedlings I first wrote this post about actually put on increase to several fans and grew to what could be blooming size for next spring. I'll find out for sure then, won't I.

I also collected some bee pollen SIB seeds this year and have started them along with my daylily seedlings under lights. I germinate the seeds before planting and the first one popped up its 1st green leaf today.

I'm also starting my TB iris seeds. Lots sprouting roots but no green yet. Irisqueen, this is my first time hybridizing & starting seed so it is interesting how they differ from other seeds like the daylilies.

The way my TBs grow here it won't surprise me to see bloom in 2nd spring from seed started under lights this winter. Even the tiniest little rhizomes I was given last spring that were no larger than a 1st yr seedling grew full size with multiple fans over the summer and I am confident they will bloom next spring.

I know of someone, in PA who is able to get their daylilies to bloom w/in 9 months from seed. The conditions are just perfect in his garden. I think it all depends on your growing conditions (season length, soil, etc) & the culture you give them.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource