Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homage to those no longer 'popular'

Posted by kprp 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 07 at 12:29

The iris that started it all for me, "Honeymoon Suite" that I got from Cooley's, just isn't listed in the main catalogs any more. It's a modern iris with big flower head, heavily ruffled falls> Color is a lovely mauve-pink standards and lavender falls. It performs decently in my garden.

I lament the loss of perfectly fine flowers like this one. I don't know that anyone will even buy it anymore if it's not pushed by the major growers. In the race for ever something new, fine garden iris like this one get lost.

I love you, Honeymoon Suite, and will do my best to keep you alive and well. I'll propogate you and will pass you on to neighbors and friends so that all might know ye!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homage to those no longer 'popular'

I would love to grow your "Honeymoon Suite"; can send you a Crimson King iris...it is a historic/rebloomer. I love the older ones, too!

Peggy

o

Blue J Iris sells HONEYMOON SUITE. I have seen it listed with several iris growers listed on AIS
Rae Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bluejiris.com/

o

Sorry, I don't like historic iris and there are enough people devoted to them that they are saved, I think.

I like the big hyrbrids with big flowers. I don't mind if I have to stake them as long as they are pretty enough.

rblegend, thanks for that happy note. Glad some are still selling HoneyMoon Suite.

o

I love this one too, but mine has yet to bloom. Maybe next year...Meanwhile, have you looked at Afternoon Delight, or Fox Grape? Lovely iris, but aren't they all?

o

Dear Kprp,

There aren't enough people in the world to save the many historic Iris facing extinction. The scenario with your Honeymoon Suite is the same with all Iris. Unless it is a color break or a Dykes winner, all Iris are eventually forgotten. I can't tell you how many Iris I'm growing in my own yard that I'm pretty sure are being grown in less than 50 gardens in the United States and unfortunately, if lose that Iris, I can no longer replace it.

Plus, as you mentioned with the economy, big company a shifting away from the tried and true varities for more showy flowers that can't survive in harsher climates. A sad, but nonetheless very real situation.

Cheers to every Iris that has lost its popularity or existence.

Carlos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here