Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Iris named Changing Colors?

I found a couple of fans laying in the flower bed, with Changing Colors written on them. I don't have a previous pic of it in my Iris pic files and am not finding a tag for it. It looks like I dug it for a trade and then forgot to pick it up and include it...sigh. I also found my potato fork that I had been using to dig irises with.

Dang, my named and NO ID irises have all grown together so much and tags have gone missing. What a mess. I'm going to try and tie surveyor tape around the different clumps to help me when I go to digging them to divide/share/trade or whatever.

The weeds have gotten way out of hand too, which doesn't help matters. Do you know of anyone who can pick raspberries from their flower bed? Sheesh...not enough time, energy, or daylight to try and get on top of much of anything.

Sue...just needing to whine

Comments (7)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Whine away. The unusual rains were nice but the weed crop isn't. And the soil compaction. Aughhh.

I'm digging while one bloom remains. The gopher bed hasn't bloomed at all. Those tunnels must be interferring with root systems altho I think the gophers are gone? Don't relish having to redo that entire bed. Phooey, even the vigorous white/purp plicata hasn't bloomed.

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Have you been checking out my raspberries? Last fall I got some on clearance & no place at the time to put them in the garden. I have a bed I just cleared out of overgrown iris,so I plopped them at the edge til I get a place for them. Of course, now they have raspberries on them, I can't move them now.
    I feel your pain. My iris have quickly moved into each other. I knew when I planted them they were too close, but it was getting late in the season & I was running out of steam. I have 2 Kiwi Bird iris growing smack in the middle of a clump of Edith Wolford. I moved them both last fall, but how did that happen. I'm sure I didn't move them at the same time. And a couple of kiwi birds got left at their old stomping grounds, so they are all over the place. I'm trying to at least get my named ones all together, I worked on it last year, but hard to tell I made a dent. I'll be busy again in a few weeks.
    I'm sorry, I'm whining too, I should be providing support! Ignore the weeds, there will always be weeds. Just get a glass of wine, sit back & enjoy the flowers. Be sure & get a heavy chair so you don't blow away today if it is as windy there as it is here.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I want my own personal Gardener for Christmas.

I'll stand back and point out where I want my huge sweeping beds, and the gardener will dig out the grass, run the irrigation lines, dig the holes and plant, mulch, and keep the ivy where it belongs. The gardener will weed and hand-pick the bugs and wash off the mildew, divide the irises, and prune the roses and shrubs.

I will wander about in my pink dress and sun hat, occasionally deadheading and cutting flowers for vases indoors, and snapping photos to share on Gardenweb.

Renee

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'm feeling a little better knowing I am not alone and I found the tags for a couple of other named clumps.

I'm going to print up some white Brother labels and put them on new Paw Paw style metal markers so the name plate won't fall off.gggrrrr.....

I wouldn't care so much about the NO ID ones running together except I have a list of folks wanting some for postage and I had wanted to let them pick and choose what they liked best. Guess when the time comes I'll just do the best I can.

Renee, that doesn't sound like fun. I have found that there is only one person that I work well with here at my house. With a few simple instructions, she could do anything as good or better then I would have done myself. She now has 2 wee ones, so our gardening time together is over for a while. She was about 14 years old when she first came to help me and learned so much how to do things properly.

What was I thinking when I planted Showy Goldenrod in a big flower bed. What a thug!

Oh, Nancy, it sounds like you have quite a mess after all of your work last year. Hey, I know about that planting something in a temporary place. I now have rows and rows of goodies planted in the veggie garden until I can find the time and space to get them planted properly elsewhere.

Cup plant is in the veggie garden and I'd sure like it in a natural sunny area where I would welcome it reseeding everywhere...sigh.

Sue

• burwoodbelle
    13 years ago

Sue!!!!!Do you still have iris for postage.
    Let me know.
    Thanks Pat.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi burwoodbelle,

Sue!!!!!Do you still have iris for postage.
    Yes and no. I have that list of folks waiting to hear from me, later in the season about postage and what they would like, if I'm able to fill specific wishes.

I'm thinking I will probably (I hope anyway) be digging them sometime in July. I require postage up front (paypal, money order, or postage stamps) and then ask for a list in order of preference, and then I will try to fill the request in that order, sending a fan or two of each one requested.

If interested, just drop me an email, and put your member name and real (first name) in the subject line, along with IRISES. I'll then put you on the list.

I'll let you know later then exactly what all is available.

Sue...an enabler who is a glutton for punishment...

I guess I'm just going to have to stick these fans of Changing Colors back in the ground and wait and see what they look like later when they bloom. I'm wondering if I was having a senior moment when I was digging and just made the name up when I wrote the name on the fan. I know I have a daffodil in that same bed named Changing colors

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Weeds! I hate 'em! Especially grassy ones. But, my big mistake this yr was not raking up the dagnab acorns. I have never seen so many acorns in my life! And guess what? I'm going to be pulling out mini oak trees the rest of my life. We've had so much rain all season, I just couldn't get out there to clean everything up before it was too late. I wish I would've realized how important it was to get those things outta the beds right away. I've got hundreds (or possibly thousands) coming up in several beds. They're coming up from underneath the irises, next to the roses, thru the weeds.... OMG! I can't handle it!

And then, like Ngraham.... I planted my earlier irises waaaay too close together, and waaay too many in the rose beds. I have iris heads stuck on thorns; stems all contorted and trying to grow out from under the roses; irises growing onto other irises... It's a big mess. That's why I didn't order any more this yr!!

And Renee, I want the same fantasy as yours! Someone to do all the cleanup, without damaging anything and to just be able to go out and sit and enjoy the beauty and take pictures!! Yeah... Dream on!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES