Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Other Irises

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 13:26

I am likely one of the very few here who have no bearded iris. Although plans include some BI for the future, my current garden has 20 of the other kind. Most of these grow care free in E. PA.

Crested Iris: Powder Blue Giant

Photobucket

Siberian Iris: Cape Cod Boys

Photobucket

Siberian Iris: Dance Party (2 yrs. from bare root planting)

Photobucket

Siberian Iris: Tipped in Blue

Photobucket

Japanese Iris: Sensation

Photobucket

Louisiana Iris: Dorothea K. Williams (thanks Mad Gallica)

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Other Irises

The Japanese irises make me drool. Yours is one of my favorite garden colors. Thank you for posting your photos- I especially love the foliage of the Siberians, and wish I could grow them here around my pond.
Renee

o

I really like your iris! I only have the common blue Siberians, & a yellow one. I have some Japanese iris that bloomed for the first time this year, the flowers much smaller than I expected. I didn't realize til recently how many different Siberians & Japanese iris there are.

o

Oh I love your Tipped In Blue! I missed this post 'til just today. Beautiful photos Harry, thank you! Rena'

o

I'm another iris lover that grows no beardeds :-) And while my current garden is a bit limited for too much iris growing, my old garden held dozens of non-bearded or species irises - Sibes, Cal-Sibes, Pacific Coast hybrids, native irises, a few Japanese iris, winter iris, Japanese wood iris, Iris foetidissima and probably a few others I forget now.

My favorites are the PC hybrids which look like a cross between iris and orchids, have handsome evergreen foliage and come in the most amazing array of colors. I still grow several cultivars of these and a gorgeous yellow with maroon markings unnamed Cal-Sibe from my old garden plus a few regular Siberians and a winter iris.

o

I like to see the different ones. I have had spuria iris, but not any of the ones like you have. Thanks for expanding the kinds seen here.

o

Harryshoe, thanks much for your reply.

I'm new to all this, but I don't see enough resemblance to think that this is the same iris.

Maybe we can get some other opinions here.

The Dorathea K Williams is a beautiful iris, but I don't see mine as being the same. (Please pardon my adopting the iris as "mine".)

Any other opinions are very much welcomed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here