Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaffisc

Help with Purple Iris ID

zaffisc
13 years ago

First, I've read thru this forum and it's been very helpful and your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This iris is the first to bloom in the neighborhood. Its stalk is less than 3 ft tall, and the leaves are only about 18" tall. Hopefully the photos will speak for themselves. It's interesting how the 3 light purple petals roll out to reveal the inner 3 petals.

To me, it sort of looks like the Iris drawing on this website. I'm assuming it's a common Iris since I see them around the neighborhood - sure would like to attach a name to them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Candy (in Utah)

Comments (15)

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can anyone help with this ID? Thanks. Candy

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

It very much resembles the one that I have except mine has more of a golden beard, your more white.

I don't know what the name is as they were growing at the first home i bought 14 years ago. I had moved some to my moms so I still have some even though I no longer own the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I'm assuming it's a common Iris since I see them around the neighborhood
    Candy, I wonder if they maybe all originated from the same neighbor who shared them. I am not familiar with it. Have you maybe tried asking your neighbors where they acquired theirs and if they might know the name?

Good luck. It's a lovely color.

Sue

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sue. The original owners have moved, and no one in the neighborhood bothered to ask it's "name".
    I'm very curious, and don't like having NOIDs.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I'm very curious, and don't like having NOIDs.
    I'm a bit the same way, but thankfully held on to my pink ruffled one I found out was Alice Goodman. I liked it well before, but now like it even better.

Don't give up hope. Try posting again next spring, and by then maybe some new members will see it and maybe be able to help. You might also bump your thread up to page one every so often throughout the year.

I know you might have thought that no one looked at it when it sat there with no replies, but often members just don't reply if they can't help. I'm sure it was looked at a lot though.

Sue

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sue, I'll try again later then. Candy

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been doing some internet searching, and belive this NOID may be "Amas". It looks and acts like some sites (ie, Daves) suggest.

Does anyone else grow Amas or can you confirm this may be a possibility? Thanks Candy

• littlebit_gw
    13 years ago

I am going to say it is NOT Amas...the beards are not the same color..Amas is more yellow in the beards, while the one you pictured is yellow in the throat but white on the falls.
    Keep in mind it is extremely hard to properly ID Noids..

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I would call it "Iris sicula" an old type Iris. IMHO

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NOT Amas (agreed).... The Iris sicula looks promising. Thanks.

• aquawise
    13 years ago

There is another one that is called "seadeep" also close. I am here in Utah as well.

• vlygrl
    13 years ago

Those look exactly like the ones I have at my house. The house is old - over 100 years - and so I have no idea when these irises were planted but I'm sure they're old.

• vlygrl
    13 years ago

Sure looks like this one on the HIPS website:
    http://hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html Look at the first photo under Iris germanica here.

I. germanica
    Linnaeus, 1753
    collected natural hybrid

TB 21" E B1M

The classic blue neglecta. A naturally occuring hybrid, it has long been a garden addition in Europe, and is fairly widespread across the States as well. Like other natural hybrids it is more a 'type' of iris than a specific clone, and there are several cultivars, varying in minor details, under this name.

A practice by the 19th century was usage of the familiar name of a species: I. pallida was Sweet Iris for the pallid (pale) blue, I. albicans the Yemen I., while I. germanica was the German I. and probably initially applied to the various purples. Somewhere in linguistic history, 'German Iris' became synonymous with 'modern' TB hybrids and, misleading as it is, can still be seen on mass-marketed packaging.

• aquawise
    13 years ago

pretty close,

Here is a link that might be useful: iris

• zaffisc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. Candy

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA