Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Read the FAQ.... still not sure why my iris won't bloom?

Posted by lucilleclifton Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 13:54

So, I transplanted a lone clump of iris from a wild, unmowed border of my large yard 2 summers ago (moved the plants summer 2009). The area where they had been was not full sun. I moved it to a little cultivated bed I created with similar sun exposure. I'm in Wisconsin and I have no flower stalks yet, which I'm assuming means I get no blooms again this year. I expected no blooms last year. What else can I do to help these guys out?

Here is the bed as it looked last spring:
Iris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Read the FAQ.... still not sure why my iris won't bloom?

How deep do you have those iris planted? I don't see the rhizome. The top of the rhizome should be above ground so that it can get sunlight. If not they don't bloom, or bloom very little.

In zone 4 I would think it is still too early for stalks to appear yet. I could be wrong.

o

You can't see in that pic, but the tops of the rhizomes are exposed. Maybe you are right and it's just too early for stalks. I saw all these posts about blooms and just assumed I was foiled again this year! I can't recall the phenology of when iris bloom here.

o

I think it might be too early yet. I still have a number of irises that have not bloomed, and I'm in California.
Renee

o

Good news.... I have about 6 buds waiting to blossom into flowers!!! I was just too impatient. ;-) Will post pics when they bloom!!

o

That's great! I have one clump of no shows, can't remember what they are.

I learned the hard way, and most transplants I lose a season of bloom. Some other ones even if I don't get them planted exactly right, they eventually do their own thing and bloom.

I think it helped some to bloom faster once I read on this forum to leave some rhizome exposed and trim. But one huge bunch I planted too deep took 3 years to bloom and now they are too many for where they are, blooming like crazy.

o

Can't wait to see!
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here