Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Time To Divide?

Posted by pacnwgrdngirl z8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 13:58

All of my Iris are blooming still. I have three big beds. I want to dig up a whole bed of Old-Fashioned purple,white, and yellow Iris. The bed they are in is a little too squishy. I need to put them in a better spot. Also, my sister-in-law has a bed of root-beer-chocolate Tall Beardeds - just about done now. They are becoming crowded and need to be divided. We are going to trade. I volunteered to help her. Hers are incredible. Stunning color, and super ruffled. Just can't wait to get m hands on some of those! When is the best time to divide? July? Also, if you plant the fans right away before they dry out will they bloom the next year? Or will they bloom in two? (That's what I've experienced before.) I'm fairly new to Iris. I am liking them a lot. Check out my album with some picture of Iris I have. Most of them were givien to me, so I don't know their names. Thanks for all your help! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Time To Divide?

If yours are getting crowded probably as soon as they are through blooming. It's nice to let the fans grow till after the fourth of July if they aren't too crowded.

o

It is best to dig tall bearded iris 6 weeks after they finish blooming. That gives them time to make food for next year. Here in Ks, I usually wait until the last of July. If it's extremely hot when you replant, face the broad side of the fan north and south. That leaves less of the fan to fight the sun.

o

That sounds like the trick to me! Wait the six weeks after blooming so the rhizome can replenish to make a bloom for next year. The light bulb above my head is lit! Now maybe they will bloom the following year after dividing, than waiting 2 seasons. Thank you flowergirl70KS!

o

I'm confusseled all my iris have always bloomed in early spring and dont rebloom till following year. Never had any do anything different. this year hardly any bloomed, had maybe 6 out of 40. Now one lone iris has a bloom stalk on it, so i'm guessing they are getting crowded and need seperating, but how do i decide to seperate if some are going to deside to bloom late.

o

Grumpy, did you get that late frost that I got? Only a few of my iris bloomed this year, I'm blaming that because I know mine aren't crowded, only specific varieties bloomed, & in no particular location-I have mine scattered all over the yard.

o

HI ....

I SENT YOU AN EMAIL ABOUT YOUR PICTURES OF SOME IRISIS. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE OLD FASHION PEACH.....GORGEOUS!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here