Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Monday's Iris Pictures

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Today we have Rio Rojo, Spot Starter and Prague.

Rio Rojo Clump. I was so didssapointed in this iris last year. Small flowers and washed out color. Not this year. Its dark and lovely and fabulous.

Rio Rojo

Spot Starter and Prague blooming in the front yard.

Closer

Prague

Comments (11)

• daylilyluver
    12 years ago

Rio Rojo going on the must have list. love the color.

I'm anxious to see which iris will bloom this year. However I'll be traveling the last week in May and I have a feeling that's when they'll open. sigh :(

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Rio Rojo is gorgeous, I love the dark colors. I'm a sucker for the two toned ones like Prague too, I really like those colors together.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rio Rojo was actually on the watch list after it's dismal looks last year. When it started looking like it was going to flower, I wasn't very excited. Changed my mind in a big hurray today when I saw it blooming.

I really like the two colored ones myself and I bought a bunch more last year to add to the garden. Prague really is colored like it looks in the clump pictures. Don't know why the closeup made it look so red toned.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Rio Rojo is a stunner, Rita. I'm so glad you didn't toss it. Your first photo of it belongs in an iris magazine, with all of the greenery and the bird bath. It's just gorgeous. Can I save the photo to my computer so that if I decide to write a blog on that iris I can use the photo? I would give you credit, of course.
    Renee

• mrtoad
    12 years ago

nice photos - rio rojo, stunning

mr toad

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure Renee, do whatever you would like, no problem.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Rio Rojo WOW

Funny how some colors can distort with just a different angle of the camera. I always use the LCD screen after I found some of my shots sooo bad.

• mikesc
    12 years ago

Very pretty--every one!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It rained pretty hard overnight and is a steady drizzel even now. But it held up well, Rio Rojo still looks as good as it did yesterday. Spot Starter, on the other hand, got beaten up by the rain.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Rita,
    That Rio Rojo is just a gorgeous color! I love the matching beards on it. And Prague is a beauty! Those colors go together so well. You have some real beauties. And you are so right. the first year is not a good test. Sometimes the bloom is down in the foliage or little and scruffy looking. But you have some Babes this time. I may have to add Prague.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Rita,
    What I really love about Rio Rojo is the saturated color with matching Beards...I usually prefer matching rather than contrasting beards although I love Paul Black. And Prague is a really pretty one too.
    kay

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022