11 years ago

Here are some of the recent blooms here:

Fashion Diva (just opened), a new flower here:

Fashion Diva, more fully formed--the photo doesn't show how pretty it is:

Jurassic Park (new for me)--really liked its color and size:

Perpetual Joy--camera doesn't begin to show how nice this one looks live:

Party's Over:

Secret Rites clump:

And, finally, the loudest frog ever! Does anyone know the species name? They sound like dogs barking!

Comments (10)

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Love those beautiful colors of Fashion Diva. Jurassic Park is a wonderful iris, isn't it? Does really well here too. Perpetual Joy is a lovely color, & I mentioned before how much I like Secret Rites. My favorite here though may be Party's Over, just because i don't think I've seen one like that before. Plenty with yellow standards & purple falls, but not the reverse. Wonder if it is related to Secret Rites, they look a little similar. My VERY favorite photo is your frog, but can't help you as for the species.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Party's Over is my very favorite but they are all lovely. Don't know about your frog.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the peeps at the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ... are usually pretty good with creature IDs .. in the alternative.. PEST & DISEASE FORUM ...

let us know back here if you get the ID

ken

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Your irises are beautiful. My favorite is Fashion Diva followed by Partie's Over and Secret Rites.
    I believe your frog is a HYLA CINERA, a green treefrog.
    http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/green.tfrog.html Marg

• mikesc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks--

I get the Bayview catalog by Joe Ghio, and every year he lists irises which he feels are underappreciated. He listed Party's Over one year, and so I bought it. It is very unusual, for sure. Its flowers were a tad bit smaller this year than normal.

Thanks for the info on the frog. Funny story: about three years ago one got into the house and at that point I didn't know what they sounded like. I thought there was a wounded animal or a puppy in my bathroom. I was seriously worried about how I was going to handle that, but as I peaked in and saw nothing I determined that the sound was coming from the toilet and then found the frog under the toilet seat. Trust me: if you ever hear one you won't believe something that little could be that loud! They are cute, though ...

Mike

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your Green Treefrog hybridizes with the Barking Treefrog sometimes. Your Green Treefrog has a bell-like call. You could also have the Hyla Gratosia (Barking Treefrog)in your garden, and that may be what you are hearing.
    Renee

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Those are just beautiful! I love your little green friend too!

• mikesc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gotta love the Internet!

I looked up both frogs listed above and listened to audio of each; it's the Hyla Cinerea I'm almost positive. Thanks--
    Mike

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I do like that Fashion Diva. Beautiful clump of Secret Rites. Seems like a cool color that blends well with green foliage.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Missed this post last year.

Great picture of 'Party's Over'. Just planted it last month!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists