Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about 'Pink Lady' Japanese iris

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 14:16

Hi all,
I was at the nursery the other day, and one of the "Pink Lady" Japanese irises had a bloom on it and it was gorgeous. It was more of a white with a lavender hue.
That particular one didn't seem to have as much growth on it, so I chose 2 other pots that didn't have blooms.
One of them bloomed yesterday, and its mostly all white with a tiny touch of pink. Should I have gone with the one that had the blossom I liked, or could that color have eventually changed too?
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about 'Pink Lady' Japanese iris

Hi Catherine,

There is no such Japanese iris as Pink Lady. It's a long story, but Japanese irises are being flooded in the market by Dutch growers, who buy the cast off irises from Japan, and give them names such as Pink Lady, Geisha Girl, Imperial Magic, etc.

There is a central iris registry in the Society For Japanese irises, and you can look up for free any named Japanese iris, and find out all about it.

Pink lady is not, and never has been a registered iris, and any nurseries selling it should be advised of that.

You may have gotten a pretty Japanese iris, but it's not a registered one, and plese don't pass it along with the name Pink Lady. Just enjoy it and consider it a seedling, name UK.

The color won't change on them, they will always stay the same.

For true to name Japanese irises, go with a Japanese iris grower, Ensata Gardens, Aitkens, Snowpeak, etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Polly @ Siberian Iris Gardens

o

Thanks for that helpful information Polly!

o

You're welcome Catherine.

It was a topic in our recent Japanese Iris Socitey bulletin, and i was lucky enough to have been able to contribute some to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here