Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Blooms from Tuesday

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I took pictures Tuesday but left them in camera until today so here are tuesdays iris today.

A new bloomer. CRACKLING CALDERA. This did not bloom for me last year so it is the first time I am seeing it. Not very tall.

GRAPE EXPECTATIONS FFO. A beautiful rich dark purple.

JAMAICAN BREW FFO. Well, almost totally open.

SPOT STARTER FFO. This is usually my first TB to open each year. Not this year!

EVENING TIDINGS grouping.

SPIRIT MOUNTAIN is too lovely not to post again. I just love this one!

Here you can see the bloomers along the front sidewalk. Everyone passing by can see them!

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you know i am not a 'hardcore'

so tell me.. what is FFO?? .. free freight onboard???.. whats that all about .... free form oodles??? ... flatulent free ordnance???

i mean really.. there are so many options.. and so little time ... inquiring minds need to know ...[or maybe not.. if it is one of the above .. which i doubt]

ken

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First flower open.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ahhh.. the biggest and the best, i presume ... thx

when you alluded to the fact of not having room.. in another post. i pictured some micro garden with a FEW iris ... not the freakin world fair.. lol ...

simply amazing ... thx for the effort to post all the pix ...

ken

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am a refugee from the daylily forums. We use that FFO abrevation a lot. Maybe it is not often used in iris.

I have a batch of various iris beds but what I mean is that there is no room to plant a new iris unless one already here goes as those beds are totally full.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Crackling Caldera sure is bright! It may get taller later in the season.
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crackling Caldera is short for my taste but it is a keeper. Not sending it away LOL!

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I really like Grape Expectations. Don't you have trouble with people picking the flowers when they are placed along a walk? I have people that yank at the blooms and pull the rhizome out of the ground when of course it doesn't break off easily. Others come and dig up rhizomes. Worse than ground hogs!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problems, knock on wood!

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Crackling Caldera looks good. How short are we talking? Mine was on the shorter side for a tall bearded, but I have TB that are shorter & still listed as tall bearded. I would say CC was at least 30" here.
    I'm not going to pick a favorite, they all look so wonderful. I'm so glad people are respectful of your flowers. I rarely pick flowers to bring in for myself, I love them so much in their setting.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I just went and measured. 25 inches. But I do have others that are on the shorter side also.

• gottagarden
    11 years ago

Of all the dark purples you grow, what is your favorite? THey are all gorgeous in photos, but you must have some you think more outstanding than others.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PAUL BLACK. But that is almost blue. Ask me again after bloom season as I have lots of violet blues and purples.

But I do like TITANS GLORY better than GRAPE EXPECTATIONS.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

That is short, Rita, mine was definitely taller. But your iris definitely like it there, they bloom beautifully. I don't care for the really tall ones. I know I've mentioned it before, but the ones that are 40" or more are guaranteed to flop over after a wind storm. I don't really care for the dwarf iris either, they are cute as a button & all right for certain areas, but you have to put them where you can see them up close.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't like them exceptionally tall myself either. I try to avoid those. I don't much like to have to stake the TB. But sometimes you need to. The iris do really like it here. Blooms all over, especially this year. And I haven't done anything to them at all.

• prairiegirlz5
    11 years ago

They are so pretty~I'm glad you posted pics! Is that Crackling Caldera in the last shot?

I came to this forum looking for inspiration. My tall burgundy colored NOID is very pretty, but almost too tall. The ornamental grasses are still too short for a background that will show her off. Any suggestions for a good pairing?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last shot- First iris is AMAZING DON. Arter that QUAIL ALE (yellow). After that barely noticable is KICKAPPO KANGAROO. Then SPOT STARTER (purple) and SPIRIT MOUNTAIN (dark blue).

• prairiegirlz5
    11 years ago

Thanks. Maybe the secret is to plant more iris! :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES